Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dzagoev: Manchester United Lead Chelsea in Race for Teenage ‘Arshavin’
Manchester United and Chelsea are the latest clubs to be strongly linked to the highly talented CSKA Moscow teenager Alan Dzagoev who has been dubbed the ‘New Andrey Arshavin’. If he were to move to Old Trafford he would join a growing number of his compatriots who have moved to the Premier League alongside Arsenal’s Andrei Arshavin, Chelsea’s Yuri Zhirkov, Everton’s Diniyar Bilyaletdinov and Tottenham’s Roman Pavlyuchenko.

The 19-year-old is already a full international and is widely regarded as the future of Russian football. Dzagoev was born in Beslan and began his youth career with the club he supported Vladikavkaz before moving to Krylia Sovetov in the Russian 2nd division. Despite being just 16-years old he scored 6 goals in 37 appearances for the club before CSKA made their move. The youngster has been tracked by a number of Premier League clubs including Liverpool and Arsenal but it’s the current top two in the table that are expected to start the bidding this January.

Dzagoev was slowly blooded into the CSKA first team starting numerous cup matches and played an integral role in a cup win in his first season scoring in the quarter-final, semi-final and final. He has since become a mainstay of the side making 20 league appearances in 2008 (18 starts) and scoring an impressive 8 times. The teenager showed that despite his slight frame that he is not scared to mix it with opposition defenders having been booked 6 times and red carded once in that season. Dzagoev also picked up an award as the Best Young Player in the Russian Premier League. He played the majority of these games either in the centre of midfield or as a 2nd striker behind main man Vagner Love where he has struck up a particularly impressive partnership.

Throughout 2009 Dzagoev has continued his impressive form with 7 goals in 27 league games (26 starts) which has alerted a number of clubs around Europe to his quality. He also featured heavily in CSKA’s Uefa Cup campaign which included success over Aston Villa before being beaten by eventual winners Shakhtar Donetsk.Guus Hiddink awarded the exciting teenager with his first international appearance in October 2008 as a substitute in a World Cup qualifying defeat against Germany. His debut at 18-years-old and 116 days made Dzagoev the youngest ever outfield player to play for Russia. The youngest overall was his CSKA team-mate Igor Akinfeev. He has since made a further four appearances for his country (3 as substitute). Both Chelsea and Manchester United reportedly sent scouts to watch the creative teenager’s first stats for his country in the 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw in Azerbaijan back in August.

The teenage star shuns the limelight and is renowned for his modest character and work ethic. This is summed up by a quote he made in 2008 when he said, “I try to give interviews rarely - it’s better to play than to talk about it. Of course, we play for the fans and they want to know about us as much as possible. But I have yet to win something to give interviews left and right. It’s too early for me to do that.” This sort of attitude would definitely appeal to Sir Alex Ferguson who likes his players to be in the Paul Scholes or Ryan Giggs mould of flamboyance off the pitch.

The CSKA star’s heroes as a youngster were both current team-mate Evgeni Aldonin and Chelsea star Frank Lampard with whom he join as Guus Hiddink was widely reported to have advised Roman Abramovich to sign him. The possibility of a future move is boosted by the fact Dzagoev has stated his favourite team outside of Russia is Chelsea. New Chelsea signing and former CSKA team-mate Yuri Zhirkov has also praised the teen. He said, “He’s just a super player.”

Dzagoev’s former academy coach Igor Rodkin has also praised the youngster. He said, Dzagoev plays football not for fame and money, but because football is his life.”

“It is rare today that a victory is more important for a player than the prize money for it, but with Alan, that is exactly the case.”

One of the former stars of Russian football and Spain’s La Liga Alexander Mostovoi has also praised Dzagoev. He declared, “Alan stands apart from other players because of his non-standard actions. He is not afraid to get on the ball, to dribble, to take responsibility. I always like players like that.” Sir Alex is in desperate need of a player with the ability to provide something a bit different to his attacking options. Gabriel Obertan is being groomed for that role but has failed to show he is ready to be a first team star on a regular basis. Like Arshavin, Dzagoev is excellent on the ball both in terms of dribbling and passing so would give United new options. He would also be a good signing for the league leaders Chelsea as Carlo Ancelotti is aware that he needs to add some youth to the side.

The CSKA star has a great engine, excellent technique and passing range plus good pace. Despite being 5 ft 10 he is not very strong in the air but his other attributes more than make up for this. A youngster of Dzagoev’s quality would offer versatility as he can play as a central midfield playmaker or as a second striker. None of the current United stars apart from perhaps Darren Fletcher have done enough to suggest they are automatic first team starters this season with Michael Carrick, Anderson, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs not playing at their best.

Sir Alex also got the opportunity to see Dzagoev first-hand in CSKA’s Champions League clashes with United in October and November. The Russian teen played in both games including netting in the 3-3 draw at Old Trafford which increased the reigning English champions interest further.

Whether Alan Dzagoev moves this January will be down to the seriousness of both club’s bids but whether he moves or not you are sure to hear a lot more from the Teenage ‘new Arshavin’.

source:The new football pools
is he any good
Isn't this the same guy who scored in CL against us in that 3 - 3 draw? If it's who I think it is he looks pretty good on the ball and plays some killer passes, needs to bulk up a bit though.
Well if he is as good as Arsavin he will excite me seing Arsavin is one of my favourite players today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRd912ubRQ
you never know, fergie could sign him
finger crossed mate
probably just another rumour
I wonder if there really is money for transfers? Personally, I think it's rubbish to think that SAF believes there is no talent out there. If there was and he wanted them, in the past, we would have got our man!
yeah for god sake FERGIE buy us the players with the money you promised us!!!
he has a strange way of working ol saf