Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evra .... On His Way ?
There has been quite some talk on the internet over this winter of Evra moving to Spain at the end of the season.
The conjectures continue with speculation of Fergie filling the 'vacant' left back position with either Michel Bastos, Fabio Coentrao or Newcastle's Jose Enrique.
If these Evra rumours are true, and they have been about since last July, then it would appear that Enrique could step forward as favourite.

Bastos is an end to end, attack minded player who also has a powerful shot as part of his repertoire.
However, the 27 year old would probably be seen as too old to be a long term replacement.

Coentrao is a left back who has the ability to double as a winger.
At 22 he is the type of footballer who would tick all the boxes as far as Sir Alex is concerned.
Unfortunately he would probably come with a hefty price tag, something our 'cash strapped' club would prefer to avoid if possible.

So that just leaves Jose Enrique.
Already playing Premier League Football and only 2 years older than Coentrao, he could be SAF's final choice.
Once again, even he wouldn't come cheap, going at somewhere around the £20million mark.
The Left Back has really come to the fore this season through the impressive link up play forged between himself and Newcastle's Argentinian winger Gutierrez.
This is a partnership neither Alan Pardew or Mike Ashly would want to break up, given the likelihood of them also losing Andy Carroll come the summer.
Mind you, Ashly may feel it's about time he recouped some of the money he invested initially when buying the club.

Any Thoughts ?
If the latest rumours are right then Evra has been approached by French clubs Monaco and PSG. I think it's the better time to let him go. But we need a worldclass leftback to replace him.
I think its time we let him go aswell and replace him with a more youthful Left back, I think it'd probably be wise to make a big offer for a decent left back because this will strengthen the somewhat lacking defence.
I think Evra's lack of pace is somewhat troubling and while he has been a great servant to the club, I think we need to move on.

That said, he is very useful offensively even if his defensive abilities have diminished. i don't think Coentrao is a good enough replacement for him. I'd be happy if we get Baines though.
If he does move out, who will we be getting for his place?
Really curious about this, he was always a great player in my opinion. :/
We were pretty close to buying Coentrao. The only reason we didn't get him was because the paperwork didn't get done on time. Baines seems like the perfect replacement and I am pretty sure we'll be going for him again next transfer window.