Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad News: Former United Star, Brian Greenhoff Dies
It was with sadness that I just read this sad news on the Sky Sports website:

Quote:Former Manchester United and England star Brian Greenhoff has died aged 60.

Greenhoff, who was born in Barnsley, joined United in 1968 and played in the same team as his brother Jimmy, who joined the club in 1976.

The central defender, capped 18 times for his country, scored 17 goals in 271 appearances for United and was part of the victorious FA Cup final team of 1977.

He joined Leeds United in 1979 but left when they were relegated three years later.

After brief spells in South Africa and Finland he returned to play for and coach Rochdale before calling time on his football career in 1983.

Manchester United said on their website:"Everyone at Manchester United is shocked and deeply saddened by the news. Our thoughts and prayers are with Brian's family at this difficult time."

Earlier a statement had been released to the Manchester Evening News by Greenhoff's family that said: "We regret to inform of Brian's passing this morning.

"Brian was a proud and much loved brother, husband of Maureen, father of Paul, Brian and Peter, grandfather to Jack, James and Harry and will be sorely missed by his family, who he made very proud in his distinguished life and career."

I remember listening on my radio to the United games in the 70s and being fascinated as a kid that brothers made it to play together at the same great side.

RIP Brian
It is quite unfortunate that I never had the chance to see him play even on TV, but based on how the article described him like due to the fact that he capped 18 times for his country, scored 17 goals in 271 appearances for United and was part of the victorious FA Cup final team of 1977, I feel like he was a very essential player to United and to England, as a whole. Thank you very much, Brian Greenhoff. The football world will miss you. Manchester United will miss you. England will miss you. Most of all, we will miss you.

GGMU! GG Brian Greenhoff.
Rest in peace Greenhoff. I have had the pleasure of watching you play in many, many games and I thank you for your service in the Man Utd FC.
(31-10-2013, 03:25 AM)canoe Wrote: Rest in peace Greenhoff. I have had the pleasure of watching you play in many, many games and I thank you for your service in the ManU FC.

It's sad, yes, but that's the reality that we have to face. People come and go. Nonetheless, I'm sure Mr. Greenhoff will never be forgotten.
Sad news. Sad
Although I've never seen him play, people describe him as a great player and person, my condolences.
Always sad when a legend passes on.

Rest in peace Brian, you will always be part of the family.