Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholes Set to Pen New Deal Possibly
Speculation over whether Paul will stay after his contract lets up end of the season

Fergie - Scholes should sign
United boss hoping veteran midfielder pens one-year extension

Sir Alex Ferguson hopes Paul Scholes can be persuaded to sign a contract extension at Manchester United.

The Red Devils boss feels the veteran midfielder should shelve any thoughts of retirement as his performances of late, including a goalscoring outing against AC Milan in the UEFA Champions League on Tuesday, prove he is still more than capable of competing at the highest level.

Scholes recently expressed his disappointment with a number of his showings this season, hinting that he may be ready to quit the game.

Ferguson responded by offering the 35-year-old a new one-year deal, as a sign of his continued faith in the former England international.

However, the issue has gone quiet since then and Scholes is set to be out of contract at the end of the season.

United remain keen get their midfield maestro tied down on fresh terms, but accept that he has plenty to consider before putting pen to paper.

Brilliant

Ferguson, though, feels Scholes would be best advised to prolong his distinguished career as he remains a prominent figure in his star-studded squad.

"I would be happy to do something about Scholes' contract but there is nothing yet," said the Scot.

"It depends on what Paul thinks himself and I haven't addressed it with him.

"But he was brilliant in Milan and his form in the last few weeks has been incredible.

"There is no need for him to think of retirement like some people were saying a few weeks ago.

"He is showing on the field what he is capable of and, to me, another year would not be a problem for the lad."

source: skysports.com
He could do a job as a fringe player, lol! His legs are starting to show signs of age, but his fitness is not bad for a guy of his age. There was talk of him going at the start of this season and I think he has done a pretty good job for us. Yeah, maybe one more season?
I'd love to see him on for one more. I think he still has it in him.
Legend at OT but cant help but think his wages could be better spent on new bloood . Let Scholesy have his season at Oldham then come back in a coaching capacity