Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United Sign Owen 2 Year Deal
Michael Owen has completed his surprise move to Manchester United after the free agent signed a two-year deal with the Premier League champions.

The 29-year-old ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid striker's contract with Newcastle ended earlier this week.

"Michael is a world-class forward with a proven goalscoring record at the highest level," said United boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

Owen had also been linked with Everton, Aston Villa, Stoke and Hull.

But instead he becomes United's second summer signing after the recent addition of Antonio Valencia from Wigan.

"Coming to Manchester United with the expectations that we have is something that Michael will relish," added Ferguson.

BBC Radio 5 Live's Juliette Ferrington said United's interest had come as a surprise to the player.

"Owen says he got a call on Thursday from Sir Alex Ferguson out of the blue," she said. "He says he was about to start talking to other clubs. No wonder he was all smiles after he emerged from a three-hour medical.

"I should imagine it has been a pretty crazy 48 hours for him but I'm sure he will be celebrating now."

Owen had checks on an old knee injury in London on Thursday before undergoing a full medical at the private Bridgewater Hospital in Manchester on Friday.

He has been plagued by injuries in recent seasons, suffering with groin, ankle, thigh, hernia, metatarsal and knee ligament problems.

The 2001 European footballer of the year has dropped out of the England squad, but a move to United gives Owen the chance to revitalise his career, even if it involved accepting a lower basic salary.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been a long time admirer of Michael Owen and has decided to gamble on the striker who has proven himself a prolific scorer at both club and international level when fit.

Since losing the Champions League final to Barcelona at the end of May, Manchester United have sold forward Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid for £80m and failed to persuade striker Carlos Tevez to stay at Old Trafford.

The departure of those two players has left United manager Sir Alex Ferguson with a shortage of strikers, with Fraizer Campbell also likely to be sold.

[Image: michaelowenshirt.jpg]
We lost the guts of 40 goals a season with Ronnie and Teves going?Owen,with the amount of chances we create should be good for 15/20 goals a season?.i just hope that the rest of the money from the Ronaldo sale dosent go in the Glazers pocket now and is used to continue to strengthen the squad.
yea I think he will be good enough for a few goals anyway but we still need more players is a must before the start of the new season
Master stroke by Fergie here I think. To sign a player like Owen on a free transfer is awesome. Sir Alex will have put him through a tough medical and last year I think he got 8 goals for Newcastle and with their service compared to ours I think he will get 15-20 for us. Now I am waiting for him to score the winner infront of the kop! Silva and a strong midfielder should be next on your list Sir Alex and then perhaps Douglas Costa. Then keep 20 or so million if we need it in January.
The best thing about this whole Owen scenario is that it has really fucked off all the Mickeys!!!They are raging about him signing for us!!!Dont forget,he was their hero not too long ago and they would dream of him scoring goals?Now those dreams will be nightmares of him scoring for us against them in front of the Kop!!!It will happen!.They are sick as pigs about this!!thats got to be the best!!
They also know he IS going to score a good few goals for us?And it is going to piss them off every time he slaps one in the back of the net!!!
Check out the 'Michael Owen Song' on You-Tube posted by Republik Of Mancunia?great caption at the end 'Lets Make It 19 Michael'
I seen it ha pretty funny
He can raise his game now he's at man utd..every player who come has to... to get some time on the pitch he will have to...bcoz Berba is going to get stronger this season
Am absolutely delighted with this capture. Owen would atleat score 10-15 goals in my opinion. 3 top strikers with Macheda and Welbeck backing up is good enough!
Great signing from Alex, shows his shrewd business sense. Owen is a great personality and is sure not only to do his best at the club, but offers a good revenue from shirt sales as a great personality too!!