Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rooney to take charlton record
Rooney can take Charlton record

Reds skipper Gary Neville says Wayne Rooney is capable of eclipsing Sir Bobby Charlton's United record of 249 goals.

At 23, and with 102 goals in 243 games to his name, Rooney has the potential to register a big total.

Neville has played alongside some fine United goalscorers during 17 years since making his United first-team debut - Mark Hughes (163), Andy Cole (121), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (126) and Ruud van Nistelrooy (150) to name just a few. But the Reds skipper feels that Sir Bobby's long-held goals record could be under threat in years to come.

"There is a long time to go before he gets there but Wayne does have an opportunity to beat the record," said Neville. "He will have to play a lot more games and stay clear of injury because that record has stood for many years and will be very difficult to break.

"But a player of his ability should score goals. He plays centre-forward for Manchester United. That points you in the right direction."

The key will be to avoiding injuries and, of course, remaining at the club for a long period of time. But there seems to be issue there either.

"I've always said I love this club and, as long as I'm wanted here, I'll play here," Rooney was quoted as saying this week. "It's as simple as that. I can't see one reason why I should want to move. I honestly can't see me going anywhere else unless I'm told otherwise by the manager."

source: by ben hibbs, manutd.com
he can do it
ah yea if he stays fit and keeps improven but he will
i really agree... i know wayne can do it... if hes not injured enough..
He's only young so it;s possible.
He will if he continues in the fashion he started this season!
agreed