Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fergie Sends Defour Get Well Soon Letter
It has been revealed that Sir Alex sent Belgian international Steven Defour a letter after he broke his foot.

"I've just heard about your injury and, in the name of Manchester United, I would like to wish you a full and speedy recovery," read the letter.

"I am sure at the moment you must be feeling awful and that you'll have all kinds of questions.

"Steven, these are natural worries but I have to tell you that modern medicine and treatments are incredible, you have to have confidence in them.

"I'm going to follow your progress closely and I will remain in contact with your club to have news of your recovery."

Defour spoke about the letter saying.

"One thing I should like to highlight is that Ferguson has followed his interest officially," Defour told Het Laatste Nieuws.

"He addressed the letter to Standard. I think the attention is great, but I do not want people to think I am already at Manchester, which is by no means the case.

"But if they come knocking, then I would obviously not cause problems."

Everton had a £9 million bid rejected for the 21 year old midfielder in the summer.

He looks like a good prospect and its good to see we are keeping tabs on players, I also heard that he is a big Man United fan.:gooo:
The Daily Mail carries this story, too, but adds the to it their take on SAF's dealings with injured players, alleged inducements or charm initiatives:

Roma defender Philippe Mexes claimed last year that he was invited to Old Trafford as a teenager, soon after signing on for Auxerre.
He was presented with a personalised United No 6 shirt and said Ferguson had personally sent Christmas cards, while compatriot Eric Cantona sent him a letter wishing him well for the future.
Not to be outdone, Roma sent him two shirts and went on to sign the France international in 2004.
PSV Eindhoven chairman Harry van Raaij raged five years ago when it emerged that their emerging star Arjen Robben had been on a trip to Old Trafford without his knowledge.
'United approached us some months ago about their interest in Arjen but then I heard that Robben was in Manchester last week and I didn't know anything about that,' said Van Raajj.
There was absolutely no contact from any United delegate and we are unhappy that we did not know one of our players was visiting another club without our permission.
'I have spoken to (United chief executive) David Gill since I learned of the visit and he was a little embarrassed and said that the initiative was taken by Robben's parents.'
Robben was another one who slipped through the net, however, and later joined Chelsea.
Van Raajj had witnessed United at work before, having sold Ruud van Nistelrooy and Jaap Stam to the club.
United backed out of a deal to sign Van Nistelrooy in 2000 because of fitness concerns and when the Holland striker then ruptured cruciate knee ligaments, the deal looked completely dead and buried.
However, in a move that echoes the letter to Defour, Van Nistelrooy later revealed: 'When the deal broke down, Sir Alex was in Spain.
'I telephoned him to tell him what had happened and he was really surprised. He told me not to worry and said that whatever was wrong would be fine.
'He assured me I would still become a United player. He kept in contact every four or five weeks. He would phone me at home and has stayed in touch throughout my rehabilitation.
'When he came to see me that was the thing that did it for me. Imagine such a big club, such a big manager, who has had so much success, to show real warmth.'
The leg work saw Van Nistelrooy eventually complete a move to Old Trafford, where he won the League, FA Cup and Carling Cup before leaving for Real Madrid.
Stam also revealed in his autobiography that he had met Ferguson - without permission - long before his 1998 transfer.
When the Robben episode followed approaches to Stam and Van Nistelrooy, Van Raajj said: ' It is Ferguson's way of doing business but it is not my way.
'You can look back and see similarities to what happened with Stam and Van Nistelrooy. It just seems that, with Ferguson, a leopard never loses its spots.'
Straight tapping up claims have never been far away, such as with David Bellion's move from Sunderland or Dwight Yorke's capture from Aston Villa, while the recent signings of youngsters David Petrucci, Federico Macheda, Paul Pogba and Michele Fornasier have brought criticism, even if there has been no evidence of wrongdoing.
French defender Julien Escude was another lift the lid on approaches in August 2002.
A spokesman for his club Rennes said they had received no offers for their Under 21 international, but Escude blabbed: 'Manchester United are interested.
'I am not insensitive to their solicitations. I have had contacts with Alex Ferguson. I wanted to know what he expected from me and what he was intending."

Source: Daily Mail online.
kinda is transfer talk so il have to move it!
Yeah, I thought about it, but decided it was just news, but sits OK here, too. Teamwork, my friend!
A good prospect, I wonder if Sir Alex is planning a visit to his home ala Giggs?