Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Stars Return to Old Trafford for United Relief LIVE
The Manchester United Foundation has teamed up with Sport Relief for United Relief Live. This unique fundraising event on Saturday 1 May will feature music from The Saturdays and the football talents of a host of celebrities including comedians James Corden, Paddy McGuinness and Jason Manford, TV and radio presenters Tim Lovejoy, Mark Chapman and George Lamb plus former England rugby and Strictly Come Dancing star Matt Dawson.

However, the highlight for United fans has to be the return of one of the most prolific strike partnerships in the club's history. Dwight Yorke and Andrew Cole scored over 50 goals in the 1998/99 season, helping to win the Treble and seal their place in Reds folklore. Now they're coming back to Old Trafford to play for a Manchester United XI against Sport Relief’s Rivals team. Andy Cole said:

“It should be great fun, to get together with some of my old team-mates and have a bit of a runout. I'm looking forward to it. It will be nice to try and roll back the years and see if I can link up with Yorkey again. We both keep ourselves in good shape.

“I’m especially looking forward to playing in front of the United fans again, we always had a good rapport. This is all for a great cause and that's the most important thing. It’s nice to help people less fortunate than yourself and to help two great charities carry on their good work.”

Source: manutd.com

So, is anyone likely to get to OT to have a laugh at this and help raise a few quid for Sprt Relief?
That is excellent information and also both are the key players in that passion for Man Utd.. Its been effective relief for the fans of the Man Utd..

Post edited to add Utd. Please read https://manutdpeople.com/Thread-Why-We-Don-t-Say-Man-U - noucamp99
This has dropped off the radar, so just bumping it. There was another thread started on the same topic.
Posted by Storm1:

...at Old Trafford'. By Katie Chapman.

'Six Treble-winning heroes will return to the Old Trafford turf next Saturday on 1st May 2010, to play in a charity match for Sport relief and MU Foundation'.

Those who will form the fundamental part of the Manchester United Xl are:
Andrew Cole, Denis Irwin, Ronny Johnsen, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Jaap Stan and Dwight Yorke and they will be coached by 'fellow Reds legend and ex-Reading boss, Steve Goppell'.

'The opposition will be provided by the Rivals, another professional/celebrity Xl, guided by former Oldham, Everton and Manchester City manager, Joe Royle'.

The game will form the showpiece of United Relief LIVE-a fun day for the family, that will also feature live music from, The Saturdays, The Hoosiers and Tinchy Stryder.

Solskjaer said, "It's amazing to think that great night at the Nou Camp was over 10 years ago, United Relief Live is a great chance for a generation of fans' too young to remember 1999 to come to Old Trafford and see us play. Also the quality of the acts performing and the fact it's a Bank Holiday weekend, should make it a fantastic family occasion".

'Tickets, priced from 15 pounds for adults and 5 pounds for children Under16 and are available online at www.manutd.com/unitedrelief or over the phone on 0161 868 8000.
Executive facilities can also be booked at the same number'.

Wow, sounds like it will be a fun-filled family day and good luck to the Manchester United Xl...and also to The Rivals.

Cheers. Cool
It’s just over nine years since Jaap Stam last trod the hallowed turf at Old Trafford and he’s relishing the opportunity to pull on the red shirt once more at United Relief...

I can't wait to come back to Old Trafford on Saturday - it's something I've really been looking forward to. I loved my time at United and I’m sure I’ll get that same buzz when I pull on the shirt again. I still remember how it felt when you stepped out of the tunnel and saw the crowd and it was always a great feeling.

My time at United was very special, we won a lot of trophies as a team and I grew as a player and a person. It’s difficult to pick out a favourite Old Trafford moment, but winning the league in the three seasons I was here was unbelievable and the days when we were presented with the trophy in front of the fans definitely stand out.

I still play football for a local side in Holland, but the level is very low – I play more for the beers after games rather than the football! I've been coaching at Dutch First Division side FC Zwolle and I sometimes join in with mini games in training.

I just want to go out there on Saturday and do my best, enjoy the experience and help United win of course!

For anyone that missed it (including me, as I was away):

Over 35,000 fans were treated to a music and football extravaganza at Old Trafford on Saturday with The Rivals coming out on top against the Reds at the inaugural United Relief event.

The day was kicked-off by United fan Tinchy Stryder, who was also part of the Reds' side, with The Hoosiers, The Saturdays and legendary crooner Tony Christie also on hand to entertain the crowd during the pre-match concert. Sir Alex Ferguson made a special appearance soon after and greeted both teams before kick-off.

A host of familiar faces took to the field for the match with the likes of Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke back in the red shirt once more. They were joined by celebrity United fans Ronan Keating, X Factor runner-up Olly Murs and Max Beesley to take on a team made up of rival ex-players and fans, including Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley and comedian (and City fan) Jason Manford.

An entertaining first half was dominated by United who were thwarted by a superb display from Dave Beasant in the Rivals’ goal. The former Chelsea stopper made a host of fine saves, the pick of which was a one-handed stop from point-black range from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who looked sharp throughout.

Having withstood United’s first half pressure, the Rivals began the second half with a renewed vigour and took the lead almost immediately through United fan Ralf Little who prodded the ball past Reds’ goalkeeper, er, Clayton Blackmore!

Ugo Ehiogu doubled the lead a few minutes later after bundling Rushden's cross over the line, but it wasn't long before the former Aston Villa defender scored at the wrong end when he planted a header past Beasant. United made it 2-2 thanks to an injury-time penalty from Quinton Fortune meaning the game would be decided by a shoot-out.

Despite a brilliant performance from United goalkeeper Pascal Olmeta, who saved no fewer than four spot-kicks, the Rivals came out on top after Beasant denied Ricky Whittle in sudden-death.

Earlier, the first penalty of the day had come from an unlikely source when United legend Sir Bobby Charlton rolled back the years to fire a half-time spot-kick past Beasant much to the delight of the crowd.

Things may not have gone United’s way in the end, but a great afternoon was had by all and, most importantly, the event will go a long way to helping both the Manchester United Foundation and Sport Relief provide some much-needed support to those who need it.

Source: manutd.com.

There is also a link for highlights, but you may need to be a One United e-member, I think...

http://mu.tv.manutd.com/default.aspx?p=channels/C6Freeview&a=74154