Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gill Hints at BIG Transfer Chest
Manchester United chief executive David Gill has hinted Sir Alex Ferguson could have £100million to spend in the summer transfer market.
There have been widespread rumours Ferguson's hands are being tied by United's owners at present, which explains why the vast majority of the world record £80million fee received from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo remains unspent.
But Gill insisted Ferguson has plenty of cash at his disposal and told BBC Radio Five Live: "The owners understand that they will only get value back by ensuring the team continues to be successful and continues to attract exciting players and produces results off the pitch as well.

"They are in it for the long term."
Even a £12million deal for Fulham's highly-promising England Under-21 defender Chris Smalling will not go through until the summer.
And with debts, excluding the controversial and highly expensive payment-in-kind notes owed by the Glazer family - nudging over £500million, the worry is the situation is not going to get any easier.
But Gill added: "I do not have a clue about how many players we would buy in the summer. We do our planning throughout the year but the money will be there and it might be more than £55million.
"We have well over £100million in the bank, so we will assess the squad over the next few months and go into the market as appropriate."
One man who definitely will not be sold is Wayne Rooney as the doom merchants have suggested.
Indeed, Gill is adamant a new contract is in the offing this summer for the 24-year-old, who scored his 22nd goal of the season in Sunday's astonishing demolition of Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium.
"We would hope Wayne would stay with us until he has finished playing," said Gill. "He has a contract to 2012 and that will be addressed during the close season because we would want to put him on a new long-term contract."

Source: givemefootball.com

Personally, it would be great, but I do wonder if this announcement has been made in light of the protests being made against the Glazers and the massive debt? I wonder if it has been done to try to appease the fans and stop the protests, like the big one suggested for the Milan game? Time, of course, will tell.
Here's the interview. Lets hope it true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football...489971.stm
lets hope this money is spendable we need to bring the squad on and keep it fresh! we cannot afford to stand still in the fastest of moving business's!

let us also hope this money is really available and not going to leave the club on the brink of collapse if it is spent!
The interview sounds good, but then when the club don't have to publish the full accounts, as they are not accountable to the stock market any more, we don't (and won't ever) know the real truth. It is promising to hear that the club is cash-rich, with £150M (??) readily available, but the sceptic in me really does think the Ronaldo money went on the debt and we're being fed a line. He also says that the football club has no responsibility to the PIK part of the debt and that lies solely with the owners, but of course, it's their business so they could take the pennies whenever they want.
IM ALSO A SCEPTIC!
I think there are one or two sceptics around. They are the ones in green and gold, lol!
talking of that my scarfs came saturday morning!
ill be able to wear it at the cup final!!!
yeah I'm skeptical about it. But as said time will tell with this if its true or not.
(03-02-2010, 02:43 PM)Bennthered Wrote: talking of that my scarfs came saturday morning!

Have you got a ticket then? Is anyone else going? I have been to one other Carling cup final, Bolton 2006.

It will be interesting to see whether there is a sea of red or green and gold. That will raise the level of coverage somewhat. Maybe force their hands a little more than an interview tucked away on Radio 5 Live and not really mentioned anywhere else.
(03-02-2010, 06:09 PM)Noucamp99 Wrote:
(03-02-2010, 02:43 PM)Bennthered Wrote: talking of that my scarfs came saturday morning!

Have you got a ticket then? Is anyone else going? I have been to one other Carling cup final, Bolton 2006.

It will be interesting to see whether there is a sea of red or green and gold. That will raise the level of coverage somewhat. Maybe force their hands a little more than an interview tucked away on Radio 5 Live and not really mentioned anywhere else.

bolton? it was wigan we beat in 2006