Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi everyone
Hi,
I have posted a few times on here but realised that I haven’t yet said hello to the community.

My username is Silverhoop – this is derived from the fact that my hair is now silver (Grey) and that I was born a hoop (Celtic supporter). I say born a hoop as I did not have any choice in the matter. My Father, Mother, 2 brothers, 2 sisters and Grandparents were/are all Celtic supporters.

I was born and raised in the east end of Glasgow where everyone is a Celtic supporter. So, in essence I was a Celtic supporter before I was born.

When I was about 10 year old my Mother bought me a football top for a school visit to London. I wanted a Real Madrid top but as she couldn’t get one she instead got a friend to buy me the United away top which was white with black and red trim. The reason she picked this was,
A – Because it was white like the Madrid top and
B - Because she held a fancy for Lou Macari (An ex-Celt).

It was at this time I started to keep an eye out for United.

78-79 season culminated in a run to the FA cup final, and what a final. Arsenal dominated and took a 2 goal lead at half time. Second half saw an onslaught from United and finally 2 goals. McQueen in the 86th followed by McIlroy in the 88th. Albeit a late winner from Arsenal (Sunderland 89th) took the cup to London but I was hooked.

For the first time in my life I felt distraught at a football result and this was the team that I had chosen, not one I was born into.
The following season they finished in 2nd place behind a Liverpool team who were dominating Europe, but for all the Hughes, Dalglish, Toshack etc United were fielding players of the calibre of Jordan, McQueen, McIlroy, Albiston, Bailey, Buchan, Moran, Nicholl, Coppell, Macari, Thomas, Greenhoff and their new signing that year – Ray Wilkins.

How could you not love this team?

Over the years, like most of us, I have saw some greats and some poor all pulling on the shirt, but one thing has remained constant – The love of United.

Feel free to say Hi and I hope we all enjoy the community on here and continue in our support of the greatest team in the world.
Well it's never too late for an introduction!
Welcome, SilverHoop!
Hope you have fun around here. Smile
Welcome again SliverHoop Smile hope you continue enjoying the forum of our beloved team - Man Utd.
Whoop whoop silverhoop! (sorry)

Good story and welcome along
Hey Silverhoop. Heart warming back story you have there and I think I have replied to a couple of your posts before?

Good choice by choosing United over Celtic haha!