Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manchester United defender Phil Jones reveals team-mate Wayne Rooney has helped him s
Smile 
Manchester United defender Phil Jones has admitted Wayne Rooney has helped him settle in to the England senior set-up under Fabio Capello.

The 19-year-old has been called into the full England squad for the first time after impressing for the under-21s and the Red Devils this season.

He revealed he is looking forward to playing for the Three Lions and cannot wait to win his first cap, with games against Bulgaria and Wales coming up.

He told FATV: "He's Wayne Rooney - a good character and a lively character.

"He's been very helpful and understanding and has certainly made me feel welcome at international level and on club duty. He's a fantastic player and you can only learn from him. It's great to have him around.

"Everyone's world-class players here and it's about the collective team spirit. We've got to come together and produce the goods on Friday night. There's no fear, just excitement to get out there.

"It is an opportunity I didn't expect, but it's a great feeling for family and friends.

"There's no fear. We all know why we are here. We are all playing well for our clubs. There is just an excitement and enthusiasm to get out there and start playing."

Jones’ team-mate at United, Tom Cleverley, is also anticipating his first full England match after being called into the squad for the abandoned game against the Netherlands in August.

The midfielder revealed he had an embarrassing first training session with his new international colleagues.

“It was an own goal in a full-sided game," he said. "I was gutted the game got called off anyway but it meant I had to leave on the own goal really.

"At least I scored in my first session! I tried rolling back to Rob Green and it came off my shin and ended up flying in the net. It was a pretty embarrassing moment for me."

Source: Goal.com