Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memory Lane
I was sat here thinking, after Andy added Gordon Hill to the United player name game (https://manutdpeople.com/Thread-United-Player-Game) about early memories of Manchester United.
Now, I know we have a good range of ages on this forum, but it might be interesting to read about each others memories of United. These might be the first ever time you saw them live, or saw them on TV, or went to the Theatre of Dreams, or met a player, manager, etc.

Call me old fashioned, but I like a bit of the old history and as you are all real people, this will actually mean something to us all. It doesn't matter how many times you post, because like me, you are bound to have more than 1 tale to tell!

Me first:

A great one for me was my first ever live match involving United. it was actually away from OT, at Layer Road, Colchester, in 1983! My Dad was a lifelong Col U fan (they call themselves U, too) and United were in town for a 3rd round League Cup match. His Dad managed to get us tickets for the game, which was, of course, a sell out.
There were over 13000 fans inside the tiny ground and we actually ended up watching the match at the open end, up the floodlights! No stewards to stop that in those days and at half time, we were passed up cups of tea!
Magic!
United won 2-0, so I went home a very happy young man. My Dad was OK about it, 'cos he had a real soft spot for United, having been stationed up there for his National Service!

[Image: colcheater_united_layer_road3.gif]
No one got any early memories of watching United? Nothing? How strange. Not even on The Big Match, away to a local team in a friendly? First time at Wembley?

Another to get you thinking.

My mum used to work for Barclays in our local town. The County FA did their banking there and my mum, coincidentally, went to school with the secretary. She happened to mention that I was a United fan way back in 1983 and he came up with 2 tickets for the FA Cup Final at Wembley!!! Result, eh?

My Dad has a soft spot for them (see earlier post) and so we set off in his old Ford Cortina and arrived at Wembley at about 11 in the morning. Packed lunch and flask! Tickets were in the United end, just round the corner on the Royal box side, about 4 rows from the front. I got a flag, scarf and programme (still got them, too) and had the time of my life. It was only my 2nd ever United game!!!

2-2 and we were right in line when Gary Bailey saved bravely at the feet of Smith, the Brighton striker, in the dying minutes. Had to settle for watching the 4-0 replay win on TV, though!

And Smith must score....

[Image: smithneverscored.jpg]

Over to you....
nice thread will add mine when I have more time
Cheers pal. I have more....

I'll let others have a wee go too, though.
So no one else has a memory, lol?

And on to 1985! My Mum came up trumps again with tickets for the cup Final v Everton. Front row seats this time, on the opposite side from the Royal Box. I borrowed a 35mm camera from a mate and got some great shots of the build up and the game until the camera jammed!

Great build up outside the old ground with the United fans taking on the Toffees' fans in the car park with an impromptu game of football that was brought to a swift end by a mounted police mini charge!! Over-reaction, as there was no hint of bother. They were just having fun! Just in the wrong place as the space they were using was the VIP parking!!

We were right in line with the penalty spot and perfectly positioned for Norman Whiteside's winner after Kevin Moran had been sent off. Jubilation!

Afer we got home, I took the camera to my mate and he promptly opened the back and exposed the film, meaning I'd lost all the photos! Bugger!
Early memorys because i was only about 6 was buying come on you reds on tape and never being able to stop listening to it. thats when we lifted the premier league in 1993. o what a moment.
We all started at an early age. Just some, as we're older, started when it was black and white, lol. Welcome, btw.
I wish i had of been old enough to see the genius of george best first hand hes legendary.
It was the last game of the 1973-74 season and Manchester United needed to win to avoid relegation.

Denis Law, backhealed the ball into the goal to give Manchester City a 1-0 game with just 10 minutes left. Manchester United lost the game and Law was devastated by the impact his goal had had. It hit him incredibly hard and he would never play a league football again.

Even though Manchester United would have been relegated with a win, Law's goal is still famous. The Red Devils were relegated along with Norwich City and Southampton. The next year they won the Second Division to go immediately straight back up to the First Division. The year after that they were up to third in the First Division to cap a tumultuous time for the Red Devils.

"i never born that period of time.. just saw this n history Book..."-but its a serious pain even Now by seeing the old Videos"
Law didnt celeberated that Goal..... "he said utd didnt lost of his goal.. on the other side birmingham won the game" is the reason..."

i remember looking at pics when i was born my grandad trying to turn me scouser but it didnt work.
i have pics of me in liverpool jerseys and man utd. they wont show me the scouse ones cause they know ill burn them!but there is a story that i went to the local pup with my grandad and man utd played liverpool and cantana scored 1st and i started laughing but liverpool scored 3 times. i had to leave the pup when liverpool got there 2nd i cryed to much haha. i think he knew from there on. (i give him so much grief these days its not funny haha).my best memory was that night in moscow . my 1st time watching manutd lift the prem so it was a big thing for me Smile

COME ON YOU BOYS IN RED