Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
: Old Trafford's First Superstar :
: The Sandy Turnbull Story :

I have recently read an article in 'The Independent On Saturday' [Magazine] about Alexander (Sandy) Turnbull who, as some of you 'historians' will know, played for Manchester United from 1907 until 1915.

Sandy Turnbull was the son of a lowland, working-class Scots miner, (sound familiar ?) who joined United, along with two other players, from Man. City in 1906 (sic). The after affects of nefarious City dealings. ( However, United's behaviour in these transfers left a lot to be desired as well.)

This ill-disciplined, bullet headed, 12 stone bruiser of insubordinate character was one of the greats of the early Manchester United years. He was the Wayne Rooney of his day, right down to his looks.

Sandy Turnbull.
  • The first player to score at Old Trafford.
  • The first player sent off in a Manchester Derby game.
  • The only scorer in 1909 FA Cup Final.
  • An early rebel fighting for, what today has become, the PFA.
  • Even now, 100 years later, he is still our club's 19th highest scorer of all time.

Despite the fame he found at United, he was eventually to be barred for life from football.
( Found guilty of plotting a betting coup, along with 3 other United players and 4 treacherous 'Dippers', and of fixing the results of the match; a match he never played in.)

The story then goes on to try somewhat to unravel the mystery of his demise, probably at the hands of the German Front Line during WW1.

This is a very worthwhile and well researched article about just one of the colourful, yet extremely talented Manchester United SuperStars from the early years of the 20th.Century.

I do hope you'll take time to read and enjoy what is 'an interest' for any true Red Devil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The complete article can be read on the Independent's website :~ HERE
wow just read it all very good article well worth taking time out to read I loved it.

thanks for sharing it
I like to read about the history of the World's greatest club. I'll give it a read a little later. Nice post again, Hyltz. Maybe we should start a history area for those not in the know?
great post hyltz, was enjoyable reading