Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Ferdinand out of carling cup final
Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand will miss Sunday's Carling Cup final because of a back injury.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson said the centre-back "felt a twinge in his back" while training and could not be risked in Tuesday's win over West Ham.

"He's had these before. He won't be playing on Sunday," said Ferguson.

Ferdinand, 31, replaced John Terry as England captain this month but may now not make the squad - to be announced on Sunday - for the friendly with Egypt.

"Rio has been training great - there had been no mishaps at all," said Ferguson, whose team face Aston Villa at Wembley in Sunday's final.

United striker Wayne Rooney added: "We'll see how it is. We know if Rio is fit, he's a top player."

When asked if he might lead England next week if Ferdinand is unavailable, the striker added: "It'd be nice, but Steven Gerrard's vice-captain so it would probably go to him."

Ferdinand had been eligible to play in Tuesday's Premier League game against the Hammers after serving a four-match suspension.

The former West Ham defender was handed a three-game ban, increased to four after making a "frivolous appeal" against it, for violent conduct during a league match at Hull City on 23 January.

That encounter was Ferdinand's first match after a three-month absence because of injury problems.

He had not played since United's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool on 25 October and fears had grown over his long-term fitness.

England's game against Egypt at Wembley on 3 March is the final friendly before manager Fabio Capello names his provisional squad for this summer's World Cup finals in South Africa.

Source:BBC Sport
cant believe this... cmon rio, dont let us down D:
Yikes lets hope the boys put on a great performance and do us proud
Really really bad news ......................................
hes injured Again ... happy to see vidicaaa back... i Dreamed both will occupay defence soon ..... gosh! evrythng shattered
IM WORRIED ABOUT HIS LONG TERM FITNESS???
maybe get to end of season and have a few weeks off might help??
we need him. last night the defence was good but Rio is needed to make us rock solid. we need a good run of clean sheets like last season and he was a main player at that time

I hope i,m wrong but its looking like his best days are behind him.

What will he not be like when he is my age if his back is bad now
Yeah it's a real shame about Rio. Dunno about his long term fitness but doesn't look like he's able to get past this injury. But I feel we'll manage well in the clash without him.
United have said he'll play like Giggs and Scholes and be rested. Very unlikely he'll play 2 on the trot anymore. Poor old man!
chris smallings chance?? i think evans is good along side vida! settles him down abit!

welcome back nou!
Also out of England friendly...says he could be out for 2 weeks

Rio will miss England game
New skipper forced onto sidelines with back injury

New England captain Rio Ferdinand will miss the Wembley friendly against Egypt on Wednesday because of his back injury.

Ferdinand was handed the armband by Fabio Capello after John Terry was stripped of the honour earlier this month following a series of allegations over his private life.

But the Manchester United defender, who has already missed a significant chunk of the season due to problems with his back, is now back in the treatment room.

The central defender was expected to return following a four-game domestic suspension in Tuesday night's 3-0 victory over West Ham at Old Trafford but was not included in the squad.

Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson revealed after the game that the former West Ham and Leeds man had suffered a recurrence of his injury and immediately ruled him out of Sunday's Carling Cup final against Aston Villa.
And the Scot has now admitted that Ferdinand will not recover from the problem in time to lead his country, with vice captain Steven Gerrardset to assume the role.

Obvious

"He won't be fit for the England game," said Ferguson. "That is obvious."

Ferguson is not overly interested in Three Lions affairs and is more upset at losing Ferdinand to a back injury that has plagued him for 18 months just as Nemanja Vidic was returning to his starting line-up.

"It is a blow for us because I was looking forward to having Ferdinand and Vidic back on Tuesday," said the Scot. "Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

"You never know with back injuries and we have been through this before, but we don't think it is too serious.

"I don't think he will be fit for the AC Milan game but I don't think it will be long afterwards. We think he could be back in two weeks."

Never discussed
Ferguson has rejected suggestions that Ferdinand could need to cut back on his international responsibilities to ensure he remains fresh for club action.

Ryan Giggs' career at the very highest level has been maintained in part by the midfielder's decision to retire from action with Wales in 2007

But Ferguson does not believe 31-year-old Ferdinand has any need to follow a similar course of action.

"I don't think we are at the stage where he should be concentrating on one part of his life in terms of international and domestic football," said Ferguson.

"That has never been any issue.

"I have never discussed it with him and I don't think he has ever thought about that himself."

source: skysports.com