Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio's the new skipper!!
Terry loses captaincy - Capello decides to axe Terry after Wembley summit - Sky Sports

Quote:The Football Association have confirmed John Terry has been stripped of the England captaincy following allegations over his private life.

Terry's future as skipper of his country has been the subject of intense speculation ever since allegations emerged that he had an affair with England team-mate Wayne Bridge's ex-girlfriend.

The Chelsea star met with England coach Fabio Capello at Wembley on Friday afternoon to discuss his future as captain in the wake of the reports.

There have been calls for Terry to lose the armband from sections of the media as it has been claimed more revelations are set to be exposed.

The FA made it clear Capello alone would decide Terry's fate and the Italian has decided to take the captaincy away from the 29-year-old.

Capello was aware the matter needed to be dealt with prior to his departure for Warsaw on Saturday ahead of Sunday's Euro 2012 draw and reports suggest the meeting only lasted 12 minutes as Capello delivered the bad news.

Best interest
A statement from Capello read: "After much thought, I have made the decision that it will be best for me to take the captaincy away from John Terry.

"As a captain with the team, John Terry has displayed extremely positive behaviour. However, I have to take into account other considerations and what is best for all of the England squad.

"What is best for all of the England team has inspired my choice.

"John Terry was notified first.

"When I chose John Terry as captain, I also selected a vice-captain and also named a third choice. There is no reason to change this decision.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank the FA, particularly Lord David Triesman and Ian Watmore, for allowing me to make this decision in my own time and in the best interest of the team."

Replacements
Terry has received support from Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti with the Italian claiming it was business as usual for the club captain in training ahead of Sunday's clash with Arsenal.

The news throws England's plans for the World Cup into disarray with Capello now forced to look for a new captain for this summer's tournament in South Africa.

Sky Sports News understands Rio Ferdinand, who was overlooked for the job after Capello took charge in 2008, will assume the captaincy despite his injury problems this season.

Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney have also been mentioned as possible replacements, but it seems Ferdinand is set to take up the role.

Other Sources:
Rio Ferdinand appointed England captain after John Terry is stripped of armband
The Telegraph

OFFICIAL: John Terry Dropped As England Captain; Rio Ferdinand To Take Over
Goal.com

Rio Ferdinand will be named new England captain after John Terry is sacked
The Daily Mail
Being honest as honest can be
Gerard-He is a very good leader and dose what he dose the best.Even doe he is scouse he ball play in my account is impressive!

Lampard-haha Captain makes me laugh he will never evan be a leader of his family dont mind ENGLAND!

Rooney-Ok i dont want him to be captain reason why....He is playing very well scoring the goals and i dont want him having other worries other then scoring for Manchester United and they have to remember he is still young and should be captain in the coming years just not yet!

Rio-Maybe might give the lad a lift but for me its Gerard if he can stay fit
Wonder who the last England Captain was who wasnt actually his club captain as well ?
Becks?
yeah your right Ramble mate
Moved to Internationals. I've already heard people saying Rio not fit to be England captain due to his history with the drugs case. To them I suggest he's already served his sentence. Who else would they consider fit for the job?
what drugs case ? i dont remember Rio ever being convicted of taking an illegal substance , all i remember is the FA punishing him for forgetting to provide a sample . That doesnt make him a drug user or cheat it just makes him forgetful
^ i said my part Smile
its an Morale boost for RIo .. and he have to perform well!
And be fit for the whole world cup!