Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ronaldo Signs New FIVE Year Deal
So, any lingering thoughts the United board may have had about brining Cristiano back to Manchester look to have been dashed, with the news that the 28-year old has signed another 5 year deal at Real Madrid:

Quote:Cristiano Ronaldo says he wants to stay at Real Madrid for the rest of his career after signing a new contract with the Spanish giants until 2018.

The Portugal forward, 28, was linked with a return to former club Manchester United over the summer.

"Manchester United is the past. Real Madrid is now my home," he said. "I hope that I'm here until I retire. This is a great club."

Spanish reports suggest he will earn an annual salary of 17m euros (£14.25m).

His previous contract at the Bernabeu was due to expire in 2015.

Ronaldo joined Real from Premier League champions United in 2009 for a then-world record transfer fee of £80m.

He has scored 203 goals in 203 games for Los Blancos, helping them win La Liga in 2011-12 and two domestic cups.

The Madeira-born star was also voted as the world's second best player, behind Barcelona's Lionel Messi, in 2011 and 2012.

But questions were raised about the ex-Sporting Lisbon youngster's future as Real planned their 100m euros (£85.3m) summer move for Tottenham forward Gareth Bale.

As well as a return to Old Trafford, he was also linked with a switch to big-spending French club Monaco.

"I respect all the clubs who ask about me," he said. "But they always know that my decision, that my only goal, is to be here and to play at this club until, maybe, the end of my career.

"I'll be here five more years. I just want to win trophies for this club."

Real president Florentino Perez, who sat alongside Ronaldo in a media conference on Sunday, labelled the new deal as "a great day" for the nine-time European champions.

"We have made the dream of all Madridistas," said Perez. "Cristiano Ronaldo and Real Madrid will remain forever."

Ronaldo was replaced as the planet's most expensive player when Welshman Bale, 24, completed his switch earlier this month.

The pair both started as Real drew 2-2 at Villarreal in Bale's first appearance for last season's league runners-up.

Bale levelled after Villarreal's opener and Ronaldo put the visitors ahead before home forward Giovani Dos Santos equalised.

Cristiano Ronaldo's career
•Sporting Lisbon: 2002-03
•Manchester United: 2003-2009: Premier League winner 2007, 2008, 2009; FA Cup winner 2004; League Cup winner 2006, 2009; Champions League winner 2008
•Real Madrid: 2009-present: La Liga winner 2012; Copa del Rey winner 2011; Supercopa de Espana winner 2012

Soource: BBC.co.uk
Well that's quite a downer. I was not really that positive that the team would get Ronaldo back in the first time, so I wasn't the surprise. I'm sure Manchester United would be able to get a top-quality player with almost the same caliber as him.