Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rooney - Injury Latest
Rooney to make derby return
United hope to have talisman back against City

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed that Wayne Rooney could be unleashed against Manchester City on 17th April.

The Manchester United striker is currently sidelined with an ankle problem picked up in the Red Devils' 2-1 defeat to Bayern Munich last Tuesday.

Fears were raised as to his long-term fitness the moment he hobbled out of the UEFA Champions League quarter-final clash at Allianz Arena.

Relief for United and England came with the news that he was only expected to be out for up to three weeks, but his absence could yet put paid to the Red Devils' hopes of landing major silverware this term.

Understandably, they are keen to have Rooneyback in action as quickly as possible and Ferguson is hoping his talisman may return for a crucial derby encounter at Eastlands later this month.

Impact

"I think he will be back at the most in three weeks and we have earmarked the game at Manchester City," said the United boss.

"There will be time for him to still have a big impact on our season.

"Hopefully if we get past Bayern Munich he would be available for the semi-finals."

United welcome Bayern to Old Trafford in the return leg of their last eight contest on Wednesday.

Rooney will definitely play no part in that fixture, as Ferguson's men look to turn the tie on its head, but veteran shot-stopper Edwin van der Sar is confident the Red Devils can prevail without their leading marksman.

"The one thing we know about Bayern is that they will be mentally strong - as they were in the first leg after we scored first," said the Dutchman.

Experience
"It's a very German strength, of course. They are very fit and they have a belief in themselves that keeps them going right until the very end.

"And having (Louis) Van Gaal as their coach will have only added to their quality and belief because I know from experience he is a man who leaves nothing to chance.

"He is someone I have a great deal of respect for, and I know he will have Bayern set up the right way to get a result to go through at Old Trafford.

"The thing is, we also have a very good coach - and Ferguson knows what will be in Van Gaal's thoughts even better than I do.

"We have the experience to progress beyond Bayern and we also have the quality.

"And even though we were disappointed to lose the first game in the last minute, we know we can win even without Rooney."

source: skysports.com
Confirmed he wont play against Bayern

United won't risk Rooney
Striker to miss Wednesday's second leg against Bayern

Sir Alex Ferguson has ruled Wayne Rooney out of Manchester United's UEFA Champions League quarter-final second-leg tie against Bayern Munich, insisting he is not prepared to risk the striker.

Rooney suffered an ankle injury towards the end of last week's 2-1 defeat by Bayern in the first leg at the Allianz Arena, having given United an early lead.

He was initially expected to be sidelined for up to three weeks and sat out the weekend's 2-1 loss to Premier League title rivals Chelsea.

However, reports had claimed that Rooney could take up a place on the bench for Bayern's visit to Old Trafford on Wednesday night after making a quicker than expected recovery.

Those hopes have now been dashed, though, after United boss Ferguson confirmed he would not be gambling on the fitness of his 34-goal hit-man.

Rooney did not take part in training with the rest of the Red Devils squad on Tuesday and Ferguson says there is 'no chance' the England international will face Bayern.
Good progress

When asked about Rooney initially, Ferguson said: "He's got no chance.

"We've made some good progress with the lad, the medical team have done fantastic, but I'm not prepared to take a risk on a player who is not 100% fit."

However, Ferguson did then suggest Rooney may try to persuade him to include the forward on the bench for a game United must win.

Ferguson then added: "The boy is making good progress. The medical team have done a fantastic job, but it is an ankle injury the same as any other ankle injury.

"You can't take a risk with a player who is not 100%.

"I don't think he will be on the bench although he might talk me into it, it is a difficult one."

I'd rather have Rooney out for a couple of Games, then to risk him and lose him for the Season and WC.
I can see Wazza pestering SAF for a place on the bench, even if he is only 60% fit. I think we may have more chance for a shot at the European Cup than the PL, as can't really see chelski slipping up now. I hope they do, but not so sure.
Wayne Rooney is expected to play a big part in United's title run-in, despite being substituted during Wednesday's clash with Bayern Munich.

The striker's surprise start against the Germans, after injuring his ankle in the first leg last week, looked to be paying big dividends when the Reds raced into a three-goal lead. But it seemed a very different story when he walked off at half-time, just after Bayern pulled a goal back, and he was substituted early in the second period - prompting fears that he could have exacerbated his problem.

"We took the risk [in playing him against Bayern]," acknowledged Sir Alex.

"We’re just having a look at the situation again. I don’t think it’s serious. It’s just [a problem with] the tissue and a blood vessel that gets burst.

"We need to give him some more treatment but I’m sure he’ll be okay for next week."

So while Rooney seems doubtful for Sunday's trip to Blackburn Rovers, he should be back to face Manchester City on Saturday week. ManUtd.com will have a further update on Friday morning, following Sir Alex's pre-match press conference.

source: manutd.com
we all had mixed reaction while he sarted vs bayern game Big Grin

He te Real inspiration behind Red devil!!!!!!

Hope he Get well soon!!!!!
A necessary risk, I think. OK, so it didn't quite come off, but the roar around OT when the game kicked off and the lift he gave the fans and the players gets my support. Yes, maybe with hindsight, he should have come off earlier, but who was to know Rafael would get a red card?
It looks like just the 1 game he'll miss. Get well soon, Wazza!
Hi, what I could not understand is why there is no back-up to Wayne....there is simply no-one on a par with him...and he has been relied upon too much-It goes to show...that without him....they are lost, he is after all a human being and subject to injuries....I saw him sitting in the club viewing box and he looked quite despondent...I noted he left before the game ended.

Cheers
Rooney seems unlikely to play for the remainder of the season

Rooney may miss run-in
United striker suffers groin injury in training

Sir Alex Ferguson has suggested Wayne Rooney is unlikely to play any further part in Manchester United's bid for the Premier League title.

Rooney, who has recently been struggling with an ankle injury, missed United's 3-1 win over Tottenham Hotspur after picking up a groin problem in training on Thursday.

United opted not to risk the striker against Spurs and Ferguson believes it may be at least two weeks before the England international is fit again.

Ferguson will continue to monitor his top scorer's fitness, although Rooney should certainly be back in time to be part of England's World Cup campaign.

Desperate to play

"It's difficult to say," Ferguson told Sky Sports when asked if Rooney would play again this season.

"Groin injuries are groin injuries and I think it will maybe take two or three weeks to be honest with you.

"We'll try and give him every chance, obviously, and Wayne will be desperate to play himself, so we'll just have to wait and see."

Patrice Evra was forced to come off during the second half against Spurs after being sick on the pitch and Ferguson confirmed some of his players had been suffering with illness.

However, the United boss is confident that the likes of Evra will be back in rude health in time for next weekend's trip to Sunderland.
He added: "We had a bit of sickness with two or three players today, but we've got eight days to recover, so hopefully we'll be okay.

"Evra just felt it yesterday, but he felt okay to play and it just happened. Maybe the heat brought it on a little bit, it was a warm day.

"I don't know what's happened, whether it's something he ate or is something going around the place."

Ah forgot all about this thread. Made a new one Tongue

Maybe one of the mods can merge it here later on. Sorry for the extra work I'm making you guys do!