Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scholes Pens New Deal
Scholes signs new deal
Experienced midfielder pens 12-month extension at Old Trafford

Paul Scholes has signed a new one-year contract with reigning Premier League champions Manchester United.

The experienced midfielder will now remain part of the set-up at Old Trafford until at least the summer of 2011.

The 35-year-old has spent his entire career to date with the Red Devils, having graduated out of United's famed youth academy.

Having made his first-team debut way back in September 1994, he has almost 16 years senior experience under his belt.

Despite having curtailed his forward-thinking game over recent reasons he remains an integral part of Sir Alex Ferguson's plans and is regularly included in big games.

United are understandably delighted that Scholes has now agreed to extend his association with the club, dashing any suggestion that the former England international was contemplating retirement.

Enjoyment

"We are delighted Paul is staying on for another year," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"His form this year indicates his ability and his enjoyment of the game are as strong as ever, that's every reason to stay on.

"There was talk about him wanting to retire, but when you see his enjoyment in training and playing you can see how much he wants to carry on."

Scholes has reiterated that he still feels capable of competing at the highest level and has expressed his pleasure at penning a new deal.

He said: "I am pleased to have signed for another year. I am feeling good and enjoying my football.

"I would like to thank the boss, the coaching staff and also the fans for their continued support."

source: skysports.com