Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sneijder
So does everyone think that mr sneijder will be on his way to Old Trafford before the transfer window closes?
Wesley Sneijder admits to Man Utd talks and thought move 'was close'

Wesley Sneijder has admitted that he thought he would join Manchester United this summer but insists his personal demands were not the reason for the move not going ahead.

The Inter Milan midfielder had been linked with a move to Old Trafford throughout the transfer window and it had been widely thought that his high wage demands were the main stumbling block.

But Sneijder, who on Wednesday evening confirmed via Twitter that he would be staying at Inter this season, has denied that a move to Manchester failed to materialise for financial reasons.

"I just felt that it was close, yes [I thought I was going]," the Netherlands international told AD.

"We had several talks, the situation was such that Inter had to sell a player, [Samuel] Eto'o or me, and indeed there was interest.

"They [Manchester United] are one of the biggest clubs in the world, so it did not seem a bad thing - but at the same time I do not want to leave Inter.

"Italy is great for me, and I cannot exclude that they [United] got that feeling, for me a move was not an absolute must and there were a few things which meant it did not happen."

Following suggestions that Sneijder's reported £200,000-a-week wages had led to a deal falling through, he added: "For me it was not so much a financial issue, my feeling was that I was simply feeling very good at Inter.

"I love the club but also the Italian culture and the people, it fits me."

Sneijder, who earlier in the summer had revealed that unofficial talks with United had taken place, also admitted that he never spoken with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson, adding: "No, Alex Ferguson and I have never spoken, so far."

CrunchSports.com