Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The great Sir Alex
Just thought i would start a new thread on the great man,Sir Alex.We hear so much about Wenger from Arsenal,The chelsea manager a great football mind.But little praise is given by the media to what a fantastic manager we have and what he has done for us over the years..
Speaking on a personal level,he has made an ass of my predictions over and over again that i no longer question his team selection.Not that i'm an expert by any means,just a fanatical United supporter for over 40 years.
The latest was the Wolfsburg game.When i saw Carrick's name,i thought what the bloody hell??Carrick hasn't been playing well.We know he's a great midfielder but surely there are better in form midfielders.So what happens??Carrick plays as we know he can and pops up with a fantastic winner!!Yes,that's what Sir Alex does..Ok,he has made mistakes along the way and that's expected.But so often he has got it spot on,it's amazing.Does he get credit for it?no..
Does anyone on our site feel the same?It would be great to hear what others think as i'm sure he's made fools of us all and long may it continue ,once we win,lol
Oh yes. I am a fellow fool! So many times I've screamed at the TV or when at games, "Take so and so off" and then they pop up and score the winner!

Of course, I was around and aware during the 70s and 80s, when we had the occasional trip down Wembley Way, but not a lot else to shout about. Then up popped Alex Ferguson. Great things were expected, but didn't materialise, so sack him? Nope. The board showed faith (I wonder if even then, he told THEM he was staying?) and the rest is history.

I was as shocked as the rest of the United family when he sold Stam, Beckham, Ruud amogst others and that every time would be the end. But no! The man is a genius. OK, so he bought a few oddballs that didn't quite fit in, but all the time, you could see what he was trying to do. Get United to evolve quicker than the rest.

Hey, he has not done bad! I wish we could clone him!

Sir Alex. The Best.
Sir Alex Is GOD! Big Grin
SAF will go down in the annals of OT as maybe their most famous son, pipped perhaps only by United's longest serving manager Sir Matt Busby.
Both would be deservedly seated atop the Old Trafford 'Hall of Fame', but for quite different reasons.

Two men who, through their joint love of football and one club, separately pulled themselves from the harsh realities of Scottish industrial backgrounds to be rewarded with the honor of Knighthoods, bestowed on them by Queen Elizabeth II. of England.

Sir Matt was admired throughout (and beyond) the footballing world as an institution. His managerial acumen of, and impact on, the English game made him renown among his peers and football clubs the world over.
From the tragic ruins of 1958 he would rebuild United, using the remnants of 'The Babes' as his cornerstone, but it would be five long years before we would taste success again. However, ten years on and with one FA Cup and two League Championships won after the despair of Munich, Sir Matt Busby became the first manager to lead an English team to glory in the European Cup.
Sir Matt not only gave us success on the pitch he and The Busby Babes did more than any others to secure Manchester United their rightful place in history.

Whereas Sir Alex, whilst having lead United to more titles than any other football manager, having built more great teams than any other football manager is, at the same time, by far the most outspoken, controversial and confrontational manager of the modern (football) age.
Football supporters. the length and breadth of Gt. Britain, love to hate him and the Great British press to denigrate him, while most other managers must privately admire him, yet if not secretly envy him.
He is a legend to us yet a villain to others. A father figure to his young players yet the scourge of the highly paid self important player. A strict disciplinarian, armed with only a hairdryer, a deadly throwing boot and his own self belief to guide him, Sir Alex has succeeded where most would have failed. He, singularly, has guided the club back to where they should be, back onto the tracks left to us in Sir Matt's legacy.
It has taken time but United gave him time, at the onset when others called for his head. He has repaid that faith shown in him time and time again over the years, so love him or hate him (as we do at times) WE just can't do without him.

Manchester United, under his guidance, have managed to replace, the likes of, Cantona; Beckham; RVN and will eventually replace Ronaldo - but how do they go about replacing Sir Alex Ferguson ?
when you say that sir alex gets no praise from the media is because the media hate him because he critisises them all the time, and if something goes wrong for him or utd the media dont be long at having a go at him
(08-10-2009, 08:02 AM)andyc09lad Wrote: when you say that sir alex gets no praise from the media is because the media hate him because he critisises them all the time, and if something goes wrong for him or utd the media dont be long at having a go at him

This is swings and roundabouts.
As I said, the press unfairly criticise him so, in return he has a go at them .... and so it goes on.
My mention of "The Great British Press" was meant to be sarcasm.