Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United Lose Interest In Ljajic
I've updated thread title, as there does seem mileage in both these players not having careers at United.
dude ...
utd only sending him back to his old club by extending his Loan until 2010
coz of delay in work permit..
I feel a new thread coming on for that, then. Although they are kind of losing interest because there were reports in September that indicated United would bring him in and fast-track him as he showed so much promise.
sky sports reckon that ljaic was sent back because utd were in money trouble
Reported not true:

Manchester United deny claims their decision to end their deal for Partizan Belgrade starlet Adem Ljajic has nothing to do with finances.

The Independent the Partizan president, Dragan Djuric, said in the Serbian media yesterday that the failure to seal the deal under which 18-year-old Ljajic was to follow former team-mate Zoran Tosic to Old Trafford reflected the fact that "maybe the real problem is that Manchester United is in financial crisis."

United quickly and robustly dismissed that suggestion, insisting that they had not taken up the option to buy the player which they had announced when Tosic arrived last January, because they have spent 12 months monitoring the player and remain unconvinced that he will flourish at Old Trafford. United have always rejected suggestions that the decision to bank, rather than spend, most of the £80m revenue for Cristiano Ronaldo was to do with the club's £700m debt.

United also said that they had better young players emerging through their own ranks than Ljajic, which suggests they are relying on the 20-year-old French winger Gabriel Obertan to be the face of the future with Antonio Valencia on the flanks. The failure of Nani to step up since the departure of Ronaldo has certainly left work to do in that department.

Source: www.tribalfootball.com
thank god for that, we dont wana be like the dippers with no money to buy new players
yeah thats wouldnt be good news. i think the fans would be protesting out side old trafford at the glazers agen if that happend
so whats the latest on diouf?
Mike Phelan took the press conference today and said the following:

Mike Phelan has revealed that paperwork issues were the main reason behind United's decision not to sign Adem Ljajic in January.

Speaking in Friday’s pre-match press conference, the assistant manager said the Reds had been advised that gaining a work permit for the young Serbian may have proved difficult.

“We went down the road of trying to obtain a work permit,” Phelan said. “We made a tentative approach to get one, and what we got back from the Home Office (or these people you deal with) is that we couldn’t get it through in time for when we had to make a decision on Adem in January.”

“The point then is do you lay out the money for Adem when there is the possibility you could or couldn’t get the work permit? We decided it wasn’t the time to do it.

“I’m not sure how we’ve left the situation to be honest, the manager would be better to answer that, but as it stands at the moment Adem Ljajic won’t be joining us in January.”

Rumours have circulated in the press that a lack of funds were responsible for United’s decision to pull out of the deal, but the Reds’ assistant manager was quick to quash that notion. He insisted that the approach to obtain a work permit is proof that money is not an issue.

“It’s not to do with money that I know of, I don’t think it’s an issue. We definitely went to try and get the work permit or made a point to get it and we were told it would be an issue, so we couldn’t make a decision from that point on.

With United’s policy of producing a healthy number of youngsters, Phelan admitted that it was slightly disappointing to not have the chance to bring Ljajic to the club, but with the rules that are in place, it was just unfortunate that the deal could not go through.

“As you can see we’ve got young players and we’re a team that requires young players to come through and develop and bring into the first team. We’ve looked at Adem and he has the potential to do that but you can’t fight these things sometimes.

“Some people you can get work permits for, some you can’t. Adem fell into the category of being hard to get a work permit for, so we made the decision (not to pursue it).”

Source: manutd.com[/align]
work permits pro footballers shouldnt need one!