Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
United Sign 15 Year Old McGinty
United have made another summer signing - 15-year-old defender Sean McGinty from Charlton Athletic.

The promising centre-half had been offered scholarship terms by the London club but with the Reds having tracked him for some time, McGinty has opted to switch to Old Trafford.

Although the Republic of Ireland U17 international is not contracted to the Addicks, the two clubs have agreed an undisclosed compensation package, which includes additional fees depending on the player’s progress at United.

Charlton chairman Richard Murray said: “To have a club like Manchester United tracking your youth players clearly shows the quality that our academy is currently producing.

“Of course, nothing would have made us happier than Sean coming through the ranks and representing our first team, and our coaches had high hopes for him. We did our utmost to persuade him to stay, but joining such a big Premier League club is obviously an attractive prospect, and Sean and his family made it clear that they wanted to move north to United.”

Murray added: “Manchester United have behaved entirely honourably throughout the process, and I’d like to thank them for that.”

Although only 15, McGinty represented both Charlton’s U18 side and reserves last season.
Sounds a great prospect to be honest. Funny aswell as Woking who I also support have signed 2 Charlton academy lads.
We are snapping up a lot of young players!While everyone else is trying to buy quick fixes for the here and now Utd are thinking and planning ahead?Fantastic,will keep an eye out for him.
sean mc ginty is a really good prospect and has a good donegal name aswell SmileSmile

cant wait to see him in action on the future
looks good but will have to work hard if he wants to make it
yeah i always taught if united got players the age of 12-15 they can make them grow the way united want them to and they would become much more loyel like if you look at the two best centre midfeilders in the world xavi and inesta grew in the barcelona camp since they were 13 now look at them and giggs,nevil,scholes you see it works.
i hope we didnt sign him illegaly, charlton could come up with allegations against us as every 1 else is
Nice to see Charlton saying good things about the signing and that United "acted honourably". I think we're ok with that. Great to see the scouting network still as good as ever. No worries about Kiddo joining the citeh academy, then!
good irish youngster
Good signing