Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VDS BACK after 2 Months out!!
United have been dealt a blow ahead of the 2009/10 season after confirming that Edwin van der Sar has been sidelined for the start of the campaign.

The 38-year-old Dutch goalkeeper has this week undergone surgery on a broken finger and bone in his left hand, and will be out for up to eight weeks.

Van der Sar suffered the injury saving a penalty from Danijel Pranjic in United's 7-6 shoot-out defeat to Bayern Munich in the pre-season Audi Cup tournament in Germany.

The prognosis means that van der Sar won't be back to full fitness until the end of September. It is frustrating news for Sir Alex, especially as van der Sar was so important to United's defensive solidarity last season. However, Ben Foster signed a new contract in July and Sir Alex said at the time that "[he] is seen as one of the best young goalkeepers in England and we genuinely see him as a successor to Edwin."

This could be the opening Foster has waited so patiently for, although Tomasz Kuszczak will also see this as an opportunity to prove his worth. Sir Alex's selection will be an interesting one for Wednesday's friendly against Valencia and at Wembley this weekend against Chelsea in the Community Shield.
big blow for us but its also a chance for foster or kuszczak to prove their worth and fight to be vds's succesor for no 1
foster shall step in and prove his worth!
I really hope Foster proves the tag Fergie's put on him as being the future England number one. This is his chance.
Bad news for VDS but good news for foster n kuszczak, lets see who will be more den capable to step in for VDS...
Tough luck, excellent keeper.
big chance for foster. 8 weeks = 12/13 games. hopefully he will fufil his potential
Hopefully Foster and Kuszczak prove their worth to United!
Gonna be tough to fill his shoes but we can pull through I'm sure.
this may be a good luck for man united. because it will help foster or Kuszczak to step up and show the world what they are capable of
I have heard that it's moved from 8 weeks to 10 weeks now but I honestly think Foster is good enough replacement