Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Van Der Sar to Sign New Contract
Edwin van der Sar has confirmed he has decided to sign a new contract at Manchester United to extend his playing career into his 40s.

The veteran Dutch goalkeeper's current deal expires at the end of the season and he has been offered a 12-month extension by the Premier League champions.

Van der Sar has been mulling over his future at Old Trafford following suggestions he would head into retirement in the summer.

However, the 39-year-old has revealed that he is confident he is capable of maintaining his form for another season and is ready to sign fresh terms.

Quoted in the News of the World, he said: "I would like to keep on playing so I have decided to sign another contract.

"The club want me to stay and I'm happy here. My fitness is good and I feel I can carry on playing for United."

The former Ajax and Juventus keeper has endured a stop-start season for United, missing the opening weeks of the campaign with a finger injury.

He was then sidelined by a knee problem before being allowed to return to the Netherlands on compassionate leave following his wife's suspected brain haemorrhage.

"It's been a hard time for all the family and when something like this happens it's a tough situation," he said.

"Luckily I was back in Holland when it happened because I was injured and it meant that I could be with her in hospital.

"It's been a difficult period, but I'm happy things are improving at home."

Source: skysports.com

Some good news to come out of OT for a change.
yup! one more year no GK problem,,, have to make or buy .... one b4 VDS retires!

scholesy ?? is he was ready ??
Brilliant!
Signed today, ahead of the CC final. A great boost, eh?

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar has signed a new one-year contract at Old Trafford.

The veteran custodian will now remain at United until 2011 and the contract extension will take him past the age of 40.

Van der Sar indicated earlier this month that he was planning to extend his stay at United and the Dutchman was delighted to sign his new deal after thanking the club for the support they showed him following the recent illness of his wife.

"I still feel good and am enjoying my football," Van der Sar told the club's official website.

"This is a great club and I was shown a great deal of compassion and support during a difficult time in December and January for which I am extremely grateful.

"I am looking forward to winning more trophies with this great team."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was happy to secure the keeper's future for another year.

"Edwin's professionalism and dedication to his job and the way he looks after himself has given him the longevity in the game," noted Ferguson.

"That longevity includes such great experience not just at United, but at Juventus, Ajax and on an international level. We are absolutely delighted he is continuing for another year."

The news is a boost for United ahead of this weekend's Carling Cup final with Aston Villa

Source: skysports.com
Some good news!
Yes. A SSN said, a great boost before the final. It will give the lads a boost, I'm sure.
yeah for sure mate.
got a text bout this today, great boost before the final, to have vds signed
Wonder if he'll play Sunday.