Poll:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Video Refereeing
Following SAF's rants against what he sees as poor refereeing fitness and decision making, there have been some suggestions that FIFA should look into adding video referee.
Add to that the injustice felt by Birmingham and Lee Carsley at Anfield, when David Ngog clearly dived to win a penalty and there may be some weight behind that.
Having said that, whereas in ruby, it works as that strange game naturally stops and starts and doesn't flow anywhere near as much as football, how and when should the technology be used. If you think it should be used at all?
I like the current rules. I like the fact that the morning after a match we have something to discuss. If it were so clinical that every decision is analysed by the referees committee at every game, there will be nothing to discuss.
Perhaps FIFA could look at banning companies such as Sky, etc from using high magnification cameras and super slo-mo replays, from 30-odd different angles?
What do you think?
no no way, although it may help teams with getting a penalty or a goal, it can also get other players penalised and thats why i think itll never be introduced, its like celtic and rangers, its not welcome in the premier league.
Wow! Why don't you tell us what you really think about the old firm coming down south, lol.
I had a conversation last night that alluded to the FA having already resigned themselves to it being introduced in some way. I can see goal-line technology coming real soon. I am against video refs, though. Use that technology to clamp down on the cheats, after a game.
Allow the result to stand but then identify any cheats, haul them in front of a committee and 1st offence = 1 game ban, with no appeal. 2nd offence = 2 game ban, no appeal; 3rd game = 3 games, etc. I think it would stop pretty soon, or we'd see loads of reserve players getting a chance!
Interesting! I've just had a wee surf to find out about the trials of goal-line technology at Reading FC and found this:

Goal line technology abandoned

A system that has been on trial at Reading FC's training ground is Hawkeye, which will be familiar to tennis fans for its use at Wimbledon to check on the accuracy of the line judges calling. In tennis, if the ball bounces outside the line it is out, but in football the whole of the ball has to cross the line so if it is overhanging it is still in play. It means a different concept is needed.

The system which seemed most likely was Adidas Teamgeist Smart Ball which would set off a buzzer on the referee’s belt if the ball crossed the line between the posts. It had been set to be trialed at the world under-17 tournament in Peru before the last World Cup. If successful, it could have been used at the World Cup itself but, unfortunately, the equipment broke down. It has fallen out of favour, not because of the difficulty of deciding whether the whole ball has crossed the line but because in recent trials, concerns were expressed about the way the ball containing an electronic chip, flew through the air and bounced.

Another possibility was the Tracab technology, developed by SAAB for missile guided systems which claims to be able to make tight goal line judgements. I know little about this but I’ve heard that it had some amusing results when used at a friendly between Germany and Austria. Nevertheless, it’s said it is going to be used as a media tool at Euro 2008.

However, the International FA Board at Gleneagles decided to scrap all trials with technology. Michel Platini, who was Sepp Blatter’s ideas man at FIFA before becoming President of UEFA, has convinced him to try out having two more assistant referees at matches, who will be placed on the goal line. They will be line judges but also look at other incidents in the penalty area.

The cancellation of a technology solution came as a great surprise, and the makers of Hawkeye and Adidas are said to be suing FIFA for compensation for the money spent on developing their systems.

How did FIFA get the International FA Board to agree? They have four votes with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland one each and all decisions to be passed by 6-2. It means two home nations must have supported FIFA. Of course there would be no chance of technology being used on local parks and perhaps this is FIFA’s reason for this unexpected U-turn, as they are determined that the laws apply wherever the game is played. But this doesn’t hold water, as no way will local football games be able to have two extra assistant referees at each match.

Source: Reading Refs Society.

Where do we go now?
nothing against the old firm, i was just using them as reference because they were overruled against coming into the prem
I couldn't see how it would work, anyway. It would mean the death of Scottish football, as the TV companies only pay the rights fees in the hope that they might get some games with one of those 2 involved. Also, what happens to the rest of the feeder clubs in England? There are 2 potential places lost to the outsiders. Finally, would this be the start of a British Premier League, removing the right of each country to represent themselves at International level?
A great decision by the Premier League in my opinion.
Anyway, off track. Sorry.
Surprised at how the voting is going so far. There are a few people out there who think video refs is the future. Hmm, I must be old school?
heres a good video of goal line technology in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGw1IYOcf...re=related
This was a great post from Steve elsewhere on the forum:

the problem with video refereeing is where to introduce it.

do you have it in prem, championship, league 1, league 2?

do you have it scottish prem and scottish div 1?

where do you have video ref and where do you not?

Should keep the discussion going. Cheers Steve.
with the latest handball in football not likely to cause any comotion, scharner for wigan against spurs, i do beleive that its gonna be looked at now after the ireland v frannce game
I can't see it myself. Football is not like cricket, rugby or tennis, where video technology has been successfully used, as these games naturally stop and start. Football is a game that flows and can do for minutes without a chance to stop.

The only way that FIFA has come up with so far that comes close to helping to solve these problems is the extra officials behind the goal. Instant decisions can be made, as with assistant referees on the sidelines. Still open to human error, but isn't that what football is all about? The passion will be removed if it becomes so clinical.