Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckham Confirms What We All Know...
David Beckham believes Manchester City will never be bigger than his former club Manchester United.

The two teams go head-to-head on Tuesday in the Carling Cup semi-final first leg at Eastlands with many City fans confident of turning over their local rivals.

Backed by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan's millions there is a real sense that the Blues can turn the tables and become the leading team in Manchester after years of heartache.

However Beckham insists it takes more than money to dislodge a team with the history and standing of Manchester United.
"City will never be bigger than United," he told the Daily Mirror.

"Being successful and one of the most recognised clubs in the world doesn't come from the money. It's about history."

The 34-year-old added that although he has not donned the Red shirt for nearly seven years he could still never envisage himself playing for City: "I'd never sign for Manchester City.
Loyalty

"It doesn't matter about money, it's always about loyalty. United are the team I supported and the team I played for and I just couldn't bring myself to sign for City."

The England international will come up against United for the first time in March when AC Milan travel to Old Trafford in the last-16 of the UEFA Champions League and Beckham is adamant that if he scores he will not celebrate.

"It's going to be a weird feeling playing against United at Old Trafford. But I am ready for it now," he admitted.

"I wouldn't celebrate if I scored. It would take me a split second to compose myself and remind myself I couldn't because when you score a goal it's a rush and it's an instinct to celebrate.

"But if it happened at Old Trafford I would curb that instinct."

source: skysports.com

As a supporter AND former player, David Beckham is likely to say that, but hey, he is only saying what is true. I mean, just look at their history. Last trophy was 1976 and that was the league cup. They haven't challenged for anything of note in the last I don't know how long. It certainly isn't about the money, because we haven't got any!!!
And he Said he will DO the Denis Law!

If he scores against united in Uefa! .he will not celebrate like Denis in 1974 .... (tho its nt te reason for Manutd relegation!)
No. The Lawman did not relegate United. The results over a very poor season did that. And United were also relying on the other 2 teams below them to lose and they both won.

I kind of understand not celebrating, but how would you feel if you were an AC fan at the game?

Say, for arguments sake, we had a former AC favourite playing for us - Gattuso, maybe - and he scored the winner in the last minute to take United through, but he didn't celebrate. Would you honestly think, ah, that's nice, he's thinking of his former club, or would you want him to celebrate for his new club, fans and teammates? I get that it must be difficult, but you must have passion playing for YOUR team?

Still, the easy way out is to keep a clean sheet and the problem doesn't arise!
I like it when players score against their former clubs and don't celebrate (unless the fans are giving him abuse like Newcastle fans did with Andy Cole), especially if it's the club that made them which is the case with Becks & Utd.

When Ronny scored against Sporting a couple of seasons ago he was almost appolegetic towards the Portugese fans and they applauded him for it, i respected him for it as well.
Fair point and I get it. If the player grew up there or spent a fair amount of time, then there is likely to be a good relationship with the fans. If there for a short time or left under a cloud, etc. then a celebration is likely.

2 different former players due at OT shortly. Beckham and Judas. I get how Becks would not feel like celebrating in our faces, but Judas? He sold out for the highest buck and still says he won't celebrate? I don't get that. If he really liked the fans, their chanting, etc would have got him to stay.

Like I said. Keep a clean sheet and then there's no issue, lol.
(19-01-2010, 01:58 PM)Noucamp99 Wrote: No. The Lawman did not relegate United. The results over a very poor season did that. And United were also relying on the other 2 teams below them to lose and they both won.

I kind of understand not celebrating, but how would you feel if you were an AC fan at the game?

Say, for arguments sake, we had a former AC favourite playing for us - Gattuso, maybe - and he scored the winner in the last minute to take United through, but he didn't celebrate. Would you honestly think, ah, that's nice, he's thinking of his former club, or would you want him to celebrate for his new club, fans and teammates? I get that it must be difficult, but you must have passion playing for YOUR team?

jeez i never said like tat! plz check wat i mentioned in bracket(tho hes nt te reason) Smile
BEck says he still Dream about retirening As a United player!
He is 100% right! how could they be? Were the biggest in the world! no middle table team are going to change that!
Man City made 1 or 2 good signing big swing they need to get over it and win somthing!
(19-01-2010, 04:14 PM)Vazza Wrote:
(19-01-2010, 01:58 PM)Noucamp99 Wrote: No. The Lawman did not relegate United. The results over a very poor season did that. And United were also relying on the other 2 teams below them to lose and they both won.

jeez i never said like tat! plz check wat i mentioned in bracket(tho hes nt te reason) Smile

I guess it doesn't read (scan) the same. Although I started with 'No', I was agreeing that the Lawman didn't send us down. sorry for the confusion.
its ok mate! Smile