Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Premier League consider play-off for Champions League spot
There won't be more clubs entering Europe, as they will replace the 4th place by right with the winner of the play off.

Personally, I 1st thought this was a really unfair idea, as the team that finished 4th deserved a place in the CL. However, what has that team actually won? Only £1/2million more than the team in 5th. They've won nowt. I soon realised that this is a great idea. It would mean that the Premier league would mean a little bit more to those clubs just off the 7 spot, as they could be rewarded with a tilt at the likes of Juventus, AC and Inter, Barca, Bayern Munich in the elite European competition.

There are a few provisos, as far as I can see.

1. Obviously, it needs to be ratified by UEFA.

2. It must not impact on the number of entrants into the CL and the Europa league.

3. Who qualifies by right into the Europa league? At the moment, it's 5th and 6th, isn't it? Do we then have another play off for the Europa league, or is it that the next 2 highest clubs enter that comp? That's the only stumbling block.

4. Spending controls may need to be put in place to stop clubs over-stretching themselves in trying to reach the top 7! It sounds daft, but look at West Ham and the silly contracts they had to try to get up the table. They are in deep trouble and the last 2 seasons, where did they finish? Yep, 7th!

With some fine-tuning, the club that finishes 4th, actually winning nothing, can compete with the next lower 3 clubs for a potential jackpot. Good idea in principle.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Premier League consider play-off for Champions League spot - by Noucamp99 - 15-02-2010, 07:26 PM