Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010)
Manchester United Chief Executive David Gill: Sir Alex Ferguson Will Have Money To Spend

Red Devils top-brass gives spending the green-light...

Quote:Manchester United chief executive David Gill has reiterated that manager Sir Alex Ferguson will have money to spend this summer to strengthen his squad.

Gill has moved to dismiss suggestions that the crippling debts run-up at Old Trafford will prevent them from any transfer activity when the market reopens.

He also moved to allay fans' fears that they will see a repeat of last year, where despite the £80 million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid, United failed to spend a penny.

Having already agreed deals to bring Chris Smalling from Fulham and Javier Hernandez from Chivas next season, Gill has confirmed the club will also look to add more players but refused to reveal any names.

"I can look you in the eye and tell you straight that we have the transfer funds available to the manager," Gill told the Manchester United Disabled Supporters Association magazine 'Rollin' Reds'.

"Targets have been discussed already, as you'd expect, but it's not our style to talk about names and it never will be."

Gill also gave his opinion on the on-going protests by United fans, who are now adorned in the infamous green and gold scarves at both home and away games.

Despite preferring to see the red and white of Manchester United in the stands, he recognised the right supporters have to show their feelings and make their voices heard.

"I've asked the players and they say they are not distracted, but if your question is 'Would I prefer all red and white instead of gold and green when you have a full stadium and you are playing host to famous opposition', of course I would," he added.

"If the question is 'Would I prefer not to look out of my office and see the scarves they are selling on the street', of course I'd prefer that. But as Alex [Sir Alex Ferguson] has said, people have a right to protest.

"Nobody is going to stop that, and in the ground itself we are not going to stop that, but I do object to the obstruction of peoples' view by some banner when they have paid good money for their seats."

Source: Goal.com - Link

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010) - by RambleOnRed - 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM