Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010)
McClaren to fight for Dzeko
News coach keen on keeping star man

Quote:Wolfsburg manager Steve McClaren has vowed to do all he can to keep hold of highly-rated striker Edin Dzeko.

McClaren was unveiled as the new manager of the club on Wednesday and one of his first jobs will be to keep hold of the Bosnia-Herzegovina star.

Dzeko has been courting the interest of some of Europe's biggest clubs, with Manchester Untied, Real Madrid and AC Milan reportedly keen on securing his services.

The 24-year-old can leave as early as next week if Wolfsburg and another club agree to set a fee and McClaren admits the situation remains out of his control.

Tooth and nail

But the 49-year-old was hopeful of doing enough to ensure the front man remains at the Volkswagen Arena.

McClaren told Sky Sports News: "At the present moment we're not in control of it. He's got a clause in his contract where he can go for a set fee before Monday.

"We're really sweating on it. After Monday, if nothing happens, we take a little bit more control over the situation and we can dictate it a little bit more. He's a world-class striker and we don't want to lose him.

"We're fighting tooth and nail to keep him. If we want to be successful we have to keep our best player, as every team does."

source: skysports.com

Redknapp refusing Modric deal
Spurs boss rules out moves for Ireland and Cahill

[Image: sq0ayw.jpg]

Quote:Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has again warned Manchester United that they would be wasting their time with any attempt to sign Luka Modric.

The Croatia international has been linked with a £25million move to Old Trafford as Sir Alex Ferguson is planning to make changes to his squad after failing to win the Premier League or UEFA Champions League in 2009/10.

Modric is understood to be a top target and Ferguson's friendship with Redknapp could help in a deal, with reports that Spurs are lining up unsettled Chelsea playmaker Joe Cole as a replacement.

But with Tottenham preparing to participate in next season's Champions League, their manager, who said in April that the 24-year-old was not for sale, does not want to lose core members of his squad.

"There's no chance of it happening at all. Luka's key to everything that's happening at this place," Redknapp said in The Sun.

"Everybody knows what I think of him. And if you want to move on to higher levels you don't start flogging off your best players - to anyone."

Modric has also offered an indication that he does not plan on walking away from White Hart Lane as he predicts a bright future.

Stress

He told Hotspur, Tottenham's official magazine: "I thought at the time, 'this is a big thing for us'. If we qualify for the group stages of the Champions League I'm sure this club will go on to another level."

Meanwhile, Redknapp has ruled out a move for Manchester City's Stephen Ireland, who is also said to be a target of Aston Villa, due to the strength in depth of the Spurs midfield.

"Stephen is undoubtedly a very good player but we have a lot of players who can fill that position. I like him but he won't be a target," he said.

Bolton's £15million-rated Gary Cahill is another player who Redknapp will not be pursuing.

He said: "I like the player, always have. But I am very happy with my defence.

"Michael Dawson and Ledley King have shown what they are all about by forcing their way into the England squad.

"I have an excellent squad and - I stress - Luka Modric is going to remain a part of it."

source: skysports.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010) - by Phil-M.U.F.C. - 27-05-2010, 03:01 PM