Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010)
Fergie - No big changes ahead
United boss to assess what he has

[Image: i5zxc6.jpg]

Quote:Sir Alex Ferguson has reiterated that there will not be too many changes to his team over the summer, insisting his squad is good enough to challenge for major trophies.

The Manchester United boss spent only a fraction of the £80million gained from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid last summer, with Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling and Javier Hernandez his only cash arrivals since the Portuguese winger's departure.

Chairman David Gill has stated the funds raised from Ronaldo's sale are still available despite debts to the tune of a reported £520million under current owners the Glazer family, who point out that their assets at the club are worth £2billion.

Ferguson however refused to be drawn on his transfer activity, stating that he will look at what he has already before making any further moves.

"I think we've worked hard over the years at bringing in young players and developing them very well. We'll have to assess all that and maybe do one or two things," he told the club's official magazine.

Difficult

"In the market today it's very difficult and the structure of our squad is good in terms of ages, the balance, the numbers and there's a lot of good young players.

"Sometimes you have to trust in all the development...and I'm going to stick with that - or most of it.

"Next season we'll go again and bring back the title to the best place in the world. We'll come back next year, that's exactly what Manchester United do."

Despite a possible lack of funds, the 68-year-old insisted that his team had the quality to regain the title after losing their three-year grip on the Premier League to Chelsea last season.

Ferguson admitted that the whole title race turned on certain moments, including the build-up to Chelsea's winning goal against his side in November when Darren Fletcher was penalised for a foul on Ashley Cole, although he appeared to win the ball.

But the Scot moved quickly to praise Chelsea, stating that their achievement can not be taken away from them.

"Perhaps crucially the decision down at Stamford Bridge was a bad one against us," he said.

"That has maybe swung the whole title around, if you think about it. There are many things you could talk about. But you can't agonise over these things.

Chelsea praise
"I used to do it but...if you look at all these twists and turns, you can torture yourself. Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you don't. It happens.

"We applaud Chelsea. We know how hard it is to win the title - it's the hardest league in the world and we've won it for the last three years.

"I congratulate Carlo Ancelotti on a wonderful achievement. He's a good manager and a good guy."

Despite his title disappointment, Ferguson put United's exit to Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League as the worst moment of the season, where they were eliminated by Arjen Robben's volley to tie the game at 4-4 and put Bayern through on away goals.

He added: "I look at the European Cup as our biggest disappointment. We should have been in the final.

"We were the better team and were fantastic here (at Old Trafford), we just didn't have the luck on the night and that's what can happen in football. You need a bit of luck."

source: skysports.com

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pre-season Transfer Speculation & Rumours(2010) - by Phil-M.U.F.C. - 08-06-2010, 04:50 PM