Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Owen Hargreaves Fitness Battle
The latest from SAF's press confrence today:

"The physiotherapist who worked with Hargreaves in America during his year-long rehabilitation from knee surgery has now returned to the US, leaving Hargreaves ever closer to returning."

Another midfield headache for SAF!
not just yet. he wont be put in the first team straight awa, but soon that headache will get worse and worse
A good headache for him to have. He admitted that during today's press conference.
Great News!
A new update in the CL press conference:

The Reds are not placing a timeframe on the return of Owen Hargreaves after a 14-month spell on the sidelines, but Sir Alex Ferguson says he hopes to have the midfielder in full training and available for selection "sooner rather than later".

Hargreaves trained away from the rest of the group again on Tuesday morning - doing running with one of United's physiotherapists - but he is making progress. He was also kicking a ball seemingly comfortably at Carrington this week.

Having come so far in his rehabilitation from a tendonitis problem that forced him to undergo two operations in America in the last year, Sir Alex will not rush the final few steps in the 28-year-old's recovery.

"It’s difficult to say [when he'll be back]," he said. "I have not got an answer to that one.

"He is doing plenty of work with the physios and he is doing a lot of football work. But I think it comes down to a confidence thing and knowing that he is ready to come back with our players. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later."

Source: manutd.com

Fingers crossed for him....And us!
More news out of United today about Hargo, which is encouraging:

Sir Alex Ferguson has reiterated his hope that Owen Hargreaves will be fit for their UEFA Champions League double-header with AC Milan.

United face the Italian giants on 16th February and 10th March, and Ferguson wants to be able to call on Hargreaves.
The England midfielder has been missing for more than a year due to problems in both his knees.

Despite not playing this season, Ferguson included him in his squad for the Champions League and now he hopes to be able to call on him.

"I would like to see him make the squad for the Champions League fixtures against AC Milan," said Ferguson.

"But we won't rush him. We are being patient."

"Owen is alternating his training with the reserve and first-team squads, working for two days and then resting a day.

"It's a matter of him regaining his confidence and when he is able to train every day that will be the moment for him to return to match play."

Source: skysports.com

Once again, there is light at the end of the tunnel for Hargo. He will need matches with the reserves etc. to get back to full match fitness and sharpness. Fingers crossed for him, though it will give SAF a headache in terms of selection choice!
i dont think its his knees that are the problem its his mind!

like any player having such a lengthly lay off and bad injury he is mentally scared to go in for those tackles wondering if it will leave him out for anbother year! i imagin rooney doesnt take anything steady in training so its a big step!!!

our thoughts and wishes are with u hargo!! i, as im sure there are many others! cant wait to see u back in the red and running out at OT on champions league night!!!!!
Good to hear. Wonder who'll make way for Hargo when he does get alright. He's a huge asset when fit ....... could fill in at right back too.
That's the headache Sir Alex faces, which is why he is paid slightly more than the minimum wage!! A tough decision to take, when it arises, but adds to the strength in depth we're famous for.

I agree that he needs to be mentally strong, too. Smudger managed it after that horrific ankle break and dislocation at the dippers and that could also have been career ending. He might never have walked again and I guess, with ligament damage, he could have snapped it again in the first tackle.

It's a tough life, eh?
i heard a rumour hes been fit since december but is scared to train with the first team incase it happens again!