Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
£100M To Buy Who?
Here is ManUtdPeople's tips for who we reckon United will sign with the Ronaldo Money.

Name: Antonio Valencia
Position: Winger
Potential cost: £16m
Club: Wigan Athletic

Long linked with a switch to Old Trafford, Antonio Valencia would appear to be an obvious like-for-like replacement for Ronaldo.

Aged 23, just a year younger than the Portugal international, Valencia has impressed during his three years at Wigan with his pace and trickery, though a return of just seven goals in 83 appearances suggest he lacks Ronaldo's prolificacy in front of goal.

Valencia is widely expected to leave Wigan this summer, and Latics chairman Dave Whelan admits: "Sir Alex Ferguson had him watched in every game last season and he holds Antonio in high regard. There is no question he is interested."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Franck Ribery
Potential cost: £30m
Club: Bayern Munich

The France winger would not come cheap, but he would bring to Old Trafford a proven ability to perform on the biggest stages.

With 37 caps and seven goals at international level, Ribery shook off a turbulent start to his career - when he represented five clubs in five years aged 17-22 - to become one of Europe's most consistent performers at club level.

Two impressive years at Marseille preceded a 25m euro move to Bayern Munich and his most productive years, with 20 goals in 53 appearances.

Bayern president Franz Beckenbauer has admitted Ribery could be sold if he does not extend his current deal at the Allianz Arena, but Manchester United sources have hinted the fee, combined with Ribery's age, could put Ferguson off making a bid.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Karim Benzema
Position: Striker
Potential cost: £25m
Club: Lyon

Although not a direct replacement for Ronaldo, Lyon forward Karim Benzema could at least go some way to replacing one facet of Ronaldo's game that proved so valuable to United in recent years - goals.

Ronaldo's haul of 71 goals in the past two seasons underlines the goal presence United will be missing, and Benzema comes with a lofty reputation to match his price tag.

The 6ft frontman has scored 43 goals in 112 appearances for Lyon - and would also bring a familiarity with a three-man frontline often favoured by Ferguson, having played across the front three in Lyon's 4-3-3 formation this season.

Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has insisted Benzema will not leave the club before the 2010 World Cup, but money talks in football - as United know only too well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Sergio Aguero
Position: Forward
Potential cost: £45m
Club: Atletico Madrid

Another option if Ferguson is looking for a young, lethal forward, is Atletico Madrid's crown jewel Sergio Aguero.

The Argentine earned a move, aged just 17, to Atletico on the back of 23 goals in 54 appearances for Independiente and has followed that up with 42 goals in 112 appearances in Spain.

Now a regular member of the Argentina national squad, Aguero has been cutting his teeth alongside the likes of Lionel Messi, Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano - and impressing all with his ability to create as well as score goals.

However, the darling of Madrid would not be cheap. Reports suggest it could take as much as £45m to lure him, while he will demand wages of over £11m a year BEFORE tax.

Too much to risk on a youngster still unproven in the Premier League, or a chance worth taking? Ferguson may feel he has safer bets in the pipeline...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: David Silva
Potential cost: £18m
Club: Valencia

An arguably less recognisable name, David Silva nonetheless has all the attributes Sir Alex Ferguson might be looking for in a forward.

The 23-year-old can play on either wing, or behind the frontman, and has developed into a key member of the Spain squad that won Euro 2008 and is ranked number one in the world.

Silva penned a new seven-year deal with Valencia last summer that ties him to Los Che until 2013, but the cash-strapped club could be forced to sell him.

There would also be the added bonus that Silva has long been a target of Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez - and wouldn't Ferguson just love getting one over on his Premier League rival?
Hope we get Silva, Valencia, Benzema and a new centre mid.
I think that buyer has also pay a big amount of tax, right?
(09-09-2009, 07:17 AM)lady_apol Wrote: I think that buyer has also pay a big amount of tax, right?

what are you on about
She's lost me! Where would tax come into a transfer? And this is just reach for the sky dreaming, as this is an older post. SAF won't now be buying until next summer, unless we get any bad injuries. However, if there was a pot to spend, I'd go for Ribery and see what change Bayern left me with. Then look at Villa. Not much money left, so I'd spend the rest on packets of chewing gum and a new watch for the added time!!
100m to pay the Glazers debt I reckon twats LUHG
aguero and silva
(09-09-2009, 05:35 PM)unitedman Wrote: 100m to pay the Glazers debt I reckon twats LUHG

OK, but then we'll need to raise a further £600m odd quid to go into the black. OMG, we're in deep! It sounds awful when you look at it like that. We're talking about buying this player, that player, selling Ronny for £80m and £100m doesn't even dent the debt.
yea your right. . . we should start selling players now at the right time and make young players and sell them like what we did with ronaldo is brillant got him for 12 sold for 80 how bad!
I honestly think the only player that would be on the same level as Ronaldo in World football at this moment in time is Lionel Messi.
He would be worth spending the Ronaldo money on but realisticly he would not want to leave Barca who he has just won the treble with and come to us?.I dont think Barca would want him to leave either.
He is a fantastic player and if i had a wish for a player we could have signed it would be him.