Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 FIFA WORLD CUP
The World Cup is nearly upon us. Does anyone really care? Will you be following it? Is it just a huge cash cow for FIFA and Sepp Blatter? What do you think?

This is the place to discuss anything WC related. Feel free to join in...
For example, here is something that doesn't really mean anything! England are ranked 10th in the FIFA rankings!!

Quote:England have returned to the top 10 nations in world football, according to the latest FIFA world rankings.

Roy Hodgson's side, who drew 2-2 with Ecuador on Wednesday, have moved up one place on the list which is topped by reigning world champions Spain.

Germany are second and World Cup hosts Brazil move up one place into third, replacing Portugal who drop into fourth.

Argentina and Switzerland have both moved up two places into fifth and sixth respectively, while England's World Cup Group D opponents Uruguay lie seventh.

Italy remain unchanged in ninth ahead of England with Belgium tucked in behind Hodgson's side in 11th.

Croatia, who face Brazil's in the opening game of the World Cup next Thursday, move up two places into 18th.

England have fluctuated in the rankings since Hodgson's appointment in May 2012 with the 66-year-old inheriting a side ranked seventh in the world.

They have been as high as third and as low as 17th in the 25 months since he took charge.

Meanwhile, Scotland have moved down five places to 27nd position but Wales, who lost 2-0 to the Netherlands in a friendly on Wednesday, are up six spots to 41st place.

Republic of Ireland have slipped four places to 70th positon while Northern Ireland have dropped six places to 90th in the rankings.

Source: Sky Sports
Don't care, probably wont watch any games, sad as it is can't get excited about England as I think England fans treat Man Utd players like sxxt,I hate stevie me so would rather not cheer him on thanks.(my own opinion which many will disagree with)
I am eagerly following up most of the matches,but it is quite difficult as it mostly happens late in the night.Most matches happen after 12 am Indian time.
I was depressed with the English squads performance against Italy (2-1)
Come Thursday its life or death for both,and hope England prevails..Uruguay will be bolstered by the return of Suarez and he could prove to be a thorn in the flesh.
I feel the same as matsdad and in fact, was in bed when England lost to Italy. I tried to watch some of the re-run Sunday morning, but it was rubbish, so I checked the result, saw we lost and went back to sleep!!!
I've been watching pretty much all of the matches so far, the game between Ururguay and Costa Rica was especially top viewing. Smile

Personally I don't believe England have had a crop of players capible of winning a tournament since Italia 90. Rooney had a nightmare against Italy, don't get me wrong pretty much everyone else played poorly, but Rooney stood out in my mind. Why was he takin corners? Do we not have anyone who can take corners? He should be in the box attacking them!

I stand by my original prediction of us not getting out of the group.
(17-06-2014, 11:34 AM)Noucamp99 Wrote: I feel the same as matsdad and in fact, was in bed when England lost to Italy. I tried to watch some of the re-run Sunday morning, but it was rubbish, so I checked the result, saw we lost and went back to sleep!!!
You shouldn't lose trust on them so soon.It was just a slip up and take a look at the match tom.I am sure England will bounce back stronger.This is a near life or death match and i guess England will prevail.
(18-06-2014, 11:00 AM)bala Wrote:
(17-06-2014, 11:34 AM)Noucamp99 Wrote: I feel the same as matsdad and in fact, was in bed when England lost to Italy. I tried to watch some of the re-run Sunday morning, but it was rubbish, so I checked the result, saw we lost and went back to sleep!!!
You shouldn't lose trust on them so soon.It was just a slip up and take a look at the match tom.I am sure England will bounce back stronger.This is a near life or death match and i guess England will prevail.

They faileld to grasp the concept of marking a 35 year old midfielder, how are they going to fare when they come up against a team who have one of the deadliest strikers leading their front line?
(18-06-2014, 05:31 PM)deansaliba Wrote:
(18-06-2014, 11:00 AM)bala Wrote:

They faileld to grasp the concept of marking a 35 year old midfielder, how are they going to fare when they come up against a team who have one of the deadliest strikers leading their front line?
It was just a one time fumble,but I certainly have no doubts about coming into this game that we are going to create Uruguay problems going forward.Uruguay's defense crumbled with the costa ricans running directly in.This game will be won by the team that defends best and i hope its england this time.
Hmm, we will see.

So, already we have lost Spain (the reigning champions), Cameroon and Australia.

The latter despite Tim Cahill's awesome volley. I can't post a link to that video, as I am banned by work filters.
From the BBC website:

Quote:"England fans do not despair. Even in defeat by Uruguay, qualification is possible.

"There are presently 81 different permutations for Group D. Should England lose in Sao Paulo, they need Italy to beat Costa Rica on Friday.

"Then England must overcome Costa Rica next Tuesday and hope Italy simultaneously defeat Uruguay.

"If level, goal difference splits teams, then goals scored, finally results and goals in games involving the teams concerned.

"Should England draw against Uruguay, they would finish level with them at worst with victory against a Costa Rican side beaten by Italy.

"If England beat Uruguay, a draw against Costa Rica could be enough, depending on goal difference."

Source: BBC.co.uk

EIGHTY ONE permutations?????? Really???
(19-06-2014, 11:54 AM)Noucamp99 Wrote: Hmm, we will see.

So, already we have lost Spain (the reigning champions), Cameroon and Australia.

The latter despite Tim Cahill's awesome volley. I can't post a link to that video, as I am banned by work filters.
From the BBC website:

Quote:"England fans do not despair. Even in defeat by Uruguay, qualification is possible.

"There are presently 81 different permutations for Group D. Should England lose in Sao Paulo, they need Italy to beat Costa Rica on Friday.

"Then England must overcome Costa Rica next Tuesday and hope Italy simultaneously defeat Uruguay.

"If level, goal difference splits teams, then goals scored, finally results and goals in games involving the teams concerned.

"Should England draw against Uruguay, they would finish level with them at worst with victory against a Costa Rican side beaten by Italy.

"If England beat Uruguay, a draw against Costa Rica could be enough, depending on goal difference."

Source: BBC.co.uk

EIGHTY ONE permutations?????? Really???
yeah,even i am Baffled...81 permutations..??.Mathematics is always funny u know..Tongue
Hodgson's men need a miracle now.In the even of Italy winning their last 2 games--distinctly possible.Then Uruguay, England and Costa Rica will all have 3 points.I am out of hopes,but still praying for England to squeak through to the next round.