Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Proposed Old Trafford Expansion
United are apparently planning a 20,000 seater expansion to the South Stand at Old Trafford. The ground which already holds a capacity of 75,000+ will have a capacity of over 95,000 should the plans go ahead, making it the biggest stadium in the country dwarfing the National Stadium, Wembley.

The matter has been put forward a number of times by Sir Alex Ferguson to the Glazer’s and it seems that the go ahead has been given by the owners, a build costing around £100M. Old Trafford recently had the North East and West quadrants installed to form a more rounded ground and its believed that the plan is to add a second tier to the smallest stand, the South Stand coupled with quadrants on both sides to Old Trafford 2006 “”finish the jigsaw” as it were.

United have been buying properties around the area of late so its no surprise to learn of this, and according to The Sun newspaper, United’s group property manager,George Johnstone, said,

“There is a strategic plan for the stadium.”

That plan may even include the introduction of a stadium stopping point for the railway line running behind the South Stand. Should United build over it, the train line could have a new station under the stand.

Old Trafford is one of the few “block” style stadia amongst the top clubs in the world with most playing in more rounded and modern styled ones, Arsenal’s new home at Ashburton Grove, The Emirates which holds roughly 60,400 people. Anfield (45,400) is of the style, and may well remain Liverpool’s stadium after plans for their new, futuristic stadium in Stanley Park were pushed back.
No den the view will b like the north stand tier 3 shite
Hmmmmm, I hope this happens as it'll leave me with 20,000 more chance of getting more tickets. The more revenue we can make the better in my opinion.
Sweet! A little expantion for now... one day we'll own the world!
Big Grin
It would be handy if they did the station
I'm all in support for it.. More fans the better. Makes the games harder for the away teams..

Hopefully I'll get to see a game there one day Smile
It is Sir Alex carrying on Sir Matts vision of Manchester United growing all the time,moving forward,getting bigger and evolving into the greatest club in the World!Which we are!!!
sir alex doesn't decide stuff like stadium expansions

he is about the team

it is Gill who does stuff like this as far as I am aware
If it does happen...Old Trafford will be second in terms of capacity just behind Camp Nou.
The difference is that Old Trafford will be full every week.
I think it is a good idear I hope they make it bigger.