Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rio Suspended for FOUR Matches
The Sun says he actually risks a Carling Cup final ban:

Rio Ferdinand will risk his place in the Carling Cup final by launching another appeal against his ban for violent conduct. Ferdinand had a three-game suspension increased to four last week after the FA accused Manchester United of being frivolous for contesting his charge. He was punished for hitting Hull's Craig Fagan off the ball on January 23. Manager Sir Alex Ferguson gambled in appealing so Ferdinand could face Manchester City in the Carling Cup semi-final second leg. Yet if this second appeal fails and his ban goes up to five games, it will take in the final against Aston Villa on February 28. Ferdinand is not contesting the initial verdict of violent conduct as he has already done that. He is arguing against the validity of the extra game's suspension. United have told the FA of their intentions and will send them their appeal by 6pm tonight, with a hearing likely on Thursday.

Source: thesun.co.uk
Really hope he doesn't get a ban on for Carling Cup.
WERE MAN UTD THEY PROBABLY WILL DO!
I don't get the sense in appealing. Accept it, enjoy the rest and come back for the final fit and strong. Rio is seriously messing with the FA and they won't like it. I know that there was talk at the end of Cantona's ban, when United organised a number of closed door games at the Cliff, that the FA threatened United with a fine and Eric with an extension to his ban, but United and their lawyers stood strong and the FA scuttled back under their stone.

Payback time, anyone? Revenge is a dish best served cold....?

Some truth in the anti-United thoughts. Watched Hull v Chelski and drogba lashed out with a swinging arm against Hull defender and gets only a yellow card! Now the ref has dealt with it, he won't get a 3 match ban! Where is the parity and consistency, there?
actually appeling coz of extra 1 match ban! na! wish it wount backfire
Likely to, though, my friend! And that means missing the Carling Cup Final.
Agree with Noucamp. Rio should just accept it and not risk getting more bans put on him.
I wonder if he has been pushed into appealing or whether he is doing it off his own back? I know SAF said he thought Rio would be able to escape the ban completely and not get even a 3 match ban. Or could the PFA have suggested an appeal on the grounds that his appeal could not be deemed frivolous if he BELIEVED he was innocent?
Looking like they will appeal.

United confident over Rio
Red Devils to cite Mascherano example

Manchester United will cite the example of Javier Mascherano when they attempt to prove Rio Ferdinand did not lodge a "frivolous" appeal against his three-match ban last week.

The FA originally charged the defender with violent conduct after he struck Craig Fagan in the 4-0 victory over Hull on 23rd January.

The fact Ferdinand chose to appeal the decision meant he was eligible to play in the Carling Cup semi-final second-leg victory over Manchester City - a move which saw the game's governing body add an extra match onto his original suspension.

United, however, believe the 31-year-old has a good case of success next Monday as Mascherano was cleared of a similar swipe on Jermaine Beckford when Liverpool faced Leeds in the League Cup last September.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "The concern is the word frivolous.

"The two most experienced referees in the Premier League are Alan Wiley and Steve Bennett.
"They are under the same controls and the same directions. One says yes (Bennett), in the case of Rio, and one says no (Wiley), in the case of Javier Mascherano against Leeds United when he punched the player in the back of the head.

"When you see that example, we don't think our appeal was frivolous."
Personally if i was SAF i would fine Rio the maximum 2 weeks and kick him up the arse . Hes been injured and now comes back and behaves like a sunday morning footballer letting the whole team down with his well deserved four match suspension . it really doesnt matter what was said to him , its all part of the game , rise above it and keep a clear head . At his age he should know better . hes not irreplacable and is the wrong side of thirty , no matter how good the player is or thinks he is hes no better than me or you when hes sitting in the stand watching